+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD maybe: best of all worlds pre amp

I'm David.

That's hifi for yer.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    I know I know, its not a usual occurrence, direct to my balanced input power amps its brilliant but thats not how i am using it now.

It isnt what comes before it but rather what comes after it, a pro audio equaliser with balanced 10k inputs. Artificially increasing the input impedance to get the bass back cost 10db and splitting the single ended signal to balanced cost another 12db ? the power amps take a balanced input so no conversion gain. The power amps are looking for 2.5 volts.

I did try to find a dspeaker dual core and see how that fared, i had one before but sold it get rid of the ADC/DAC conversion. Using it fully digital was a pain. Have ads running for one on some forums but nothing yet
    I'd rethink the whole system.

Or just stop using balanced connection?

If you decide to sell your Black Tulip let me know.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

If you view your source equipment as having the audio you actually need, then anything in -between
    to your power amp that changes that audio is detracting. Your source equipment should have
    sufficient ability to not be upset by an attenuator.

I would deal with attenuation firstly - to get the best possible transfer, and I think you know
    the direction I would advise.

With a good basis of attenuation be it balanced or unbalanced you then can properly assess your requirements.
    I would also study the schematics for your power amps to see if sensitivity can be improved

I'm stuart.

If you want to go the DIY route then maybe a Salas DCG3 pre would fit the bill. Configurable gain from 2-4, very nice pre, I'm just finishing mine. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...headphone.html

Here's a picture of mine nearing completion!

Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    If you want to go the DIY route then maybe a Salas DCG3 pre would fit the bill. Configurable gain from 2-4, very nice pre, I'm just finishing mine. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...headphone.html

Here's a picture of mine nearing completion!

Is that alps pot in the signal path?

I'm stuart.

Yes, it's just temporary hence the reason for the hokey connector. Looking for a remote volume solution.
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Yes, it's just temporary hence the reason for the hokey connector. Looking for a remote volume solution.
    Phew!

I thought, "all that beautiful work and then he's stuck an alps blue in!" lol

Have a look at the Acoustic Dimensions Stepped attenuator. Bit smaller than the khozmo and every bit as good.

I'm Alan.

+1 to the that. The difference in clarity is quite surprising.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Paul.

The ifi iTube2 is shockingly superb as a valve pre-amplifier with or without gain (9db) putting many an 'audiophile' product to shame and with facilities galore like a Swiss army pocket knife..... It can also be used as a buffer to increase gain and give a 'tube' sound..... I used it with a Western Electric 396A double triode valve and it was outrageous.....

Thorsten Loesch and the Abbingdon Music Research crew of which iFi is a subsidiary nailed it so much so that I now use the iFi Pro which is a linestage/headphone amplifier....

The most complete separate valve and separate solid state pre-amplifier I've ever assessed or owned..... Good luck....
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm gordan.

there is audiopax model 5 for sale on wam though the price is hefty.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast