+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Onix OA21 amplifier (Modified)

I'm matt.

Default FS: Onix OA21 amplifier (Modified)

I've owned this amp longer than any piece of kit and i'm honestly in two minds about selling it. What I would Ideally like is to sell it to someone who would give me first refusal if they ever decided to sell. I'm more than happy for people to come and listen first (you wont be disappointed)
    Vocals are lovely and clean, and project well. Treble is smooth and detailed, and bass is tight and deep. It sounds very similar to my modified Quad 306, so in that respect, there's no reason to keep it. I'm keeping the 306 because it's easier to work on and I can experiment with passive preamps.

Volume pot was replaced with a Noble - As used In the Avondale Grad 1 preamp - NLA unfortunately.

Main smoothing capacitors - Panasonic UP series 4700uf 63v - Chosen for their high ripple current rating - Also NLA, and also unfortunate.

Bridge rectifier replaced with LQA30T300 Q-Speed soft recovery diodes.

Relays replaced for service/longevity reasons

T0-3 Transistors heatsink thermally bonded to the case with Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound (better heat transfer than the usual stuff).

Coupling capacitors replaced with Nichicon FW (standard for audio) These are by far the best sounding coupling caps I've tried In the Onix and i've tried a lot.
    Vishay Sprague Tantalex 150D are in the feedback position. Chosen because they are, or were used in the Avondale NCC200 power amplifier and sound better than anything else i've tried. In the past I tried Elna Silmic (Too smooth/soft) - Nichicon Muse KZ (thin and harsh In the upper midrange), Polypropylene (various), polyester and Russian K52-2 Silver Tantalum all gave a similar sound to Nichicon Muse KZ.

Transistors in the long-tailed-pair are matched (HFE and VBE) and thermally bonded. This lowered the DC offset from about 20 to 25mv down to about 5 to 10mv (See here for details - http://paul-kemble.tripod.com/sound7e.html)

Bias set to 18mv (as it should be)

Most of the resistors are replaced with Vishay Dale RN60 apart from the sensitive feedback loop area, where i've used standard MRS25 metal films (RN60 sound a touch soft here)

The negatives - No phono card Is fitted, and the external power supply Input socket was removed (only needed if you were planning on adding a Soap power supply). They were removed when trying out various mods but the shed leaked and they must of got thrown out with a load of electrical equipment that went rusty

There are a few scratches and a small dent on one side as can be seen in the pictures.

Looking for £250 plus £15 p&p

Pics to follow...

I'm matt.

I'm matt.

Forgot to post the internal picture:

I'm Chris.

Coming from Brighton, I remember this back in the day as a pretty impressive performer (in std form) and easily matched up to the cheaper Naim and Linn amps
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Coming from Brighton, I remember this back in the day as a pretty impressive performer (in std form) and easily matched up to the cheaper Naim and Linn amps
    I much prefered the Onix to my old Naim 102 pre, Hicap and 180 power, let alone my Nait 1.

I'm phil.

I’m still using a complete onix system, just had the pre amp serviced by tony and sounding sublime, still never had anything that makes me consider swapping it
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Colin.

This was my first proper amp bought from a dealer in Edinburgh , loved it just great performer

Colin

I'm matt.

Price drop - £200 plus £15 p&p

I'm matt.

Now £180 plus £15 p&p

I'm matt.

SOLD

+ Reply to Thread