+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: END GAME?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    So I have had the Neurochrome 286 for a number of weeks now and it continues to impress.

However things have taken a big leap forward with new speaker cables. Yes ....different wire
    For those that think cables make no difference go and read another thread.

I have been impressed with Gazjam's journey and have wondered how the uplifts have sounded when he has changed speaker cables to ones higher up the range. Fair play for pushing the boundaries at not inconsiderable expense.

Nirvahna arrived at the beginning of the week when I was lucky enough to trial 'The Dream' speaker cables, built by Bigman80 of this parish.
    The overriding impression when I had to remove these leads and put back my previous leads was that the system was broken, in comparison flat and lifeless.
    Once heard there was no way I could live without the performance so I have built my own pair of 'The Dream'.

Here comes the bit where you will be thinking 'he's over eulogising, how can a change of wire have that much effect?'
    Honestly I am at a loss to explain it, I thought I was using good OCC copper before. It just goes to show that even at audio frequencies we don't actually know what is happening with the transmission of signals through wire.

I would suggest that you need a highly resolving system to hear the full benefit but now the Neurochrome 286 amp and the Quad 57's seem to be mated to an astonishing degree.

First impressions playing Hotel California on CD, such realism of the crowd and applause. Astounding punch and clarity across the board, the kick drum is so solid it makes your hairs stand on end.
    Englishman in New York by Sting, again on CD, shows there is double tracking to the percussion, I've never heard that before.

Everything is clearer and more balanced with pinpoint imaging, whatever the source.

These cables won't find their way into many system due to the expense but I can't think of any other position in the chain to obtain such an uplift in performance for the same outlay.

EDIT Is this review too understated? This cable is EPIC.
    for clarity can you tell me what speaker cable you used prior to your review please.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

2.5mm squared OCC ELECAUDIO FC125TC

I'm jamie.

thanks
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

2.5mm squared OCC ELECAUDIO FC125TC
    You see, the first thing I would say there is that I wouldn’t personally recommend less than 4mm squared and would put that ahead of any other ‘special’ qualities a cable may possess.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    You see, the first thing I would say there is that I wouldn’t personally recommend less than 4mm squared and would put that ahead of any other ‘special’ qualities a cable may possess.
    Why?

I'm Alan.

+1

Upping the CSA of an OFC cable is just increasing the number of crystal boundaries, what's needed is a reduction of same.

I'm Lawrence.

EDIT ignore the below, later posts show that the cables are the same thickness. I was just assuming what someone said as a given, lesson learnt. Will leave anyway as a lesson against jumping to conclusions

That's a good point about the thickness, if we're going to compare like with like cables you should remove other obvious factors. You clearly can't account for everything, but guage is a simple one to discount.

Replacing a budget good quality thin cable with an expensive thick cable does leave one factor unaccounted for before you rush out and spend the cash. It would be a shame if you could have got 90% of the gain by just buying a thicker version of the budget good quality cable.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has found a significant upgrade from just changing their cable to a thicker version, Van Damme hifi would be an obvious choice.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 23-11-2019 at 16:50.

I'm Martin.

+1

Upping the CSA of an OFC cable is just increasing the number of crystal boundaries, what's needed is a reduction of same.
    Thought folk were using OCC to eliminate this very thing anyway, so given OCC now what?

I'm Dave.

So I have had the Neurochrome 286 for a number of weeks now and it continues to impress.

However things have taken a big leap forward with new speaker cables. Yes ....different wire
    For those that think cables make no difference go and read another thread.

I have been impressed with Gazjam's journey and have wondered how the uplifts have sounded when he has changed speaker cables to ones higher up the range. Fair play for pushing the boundaries at not inconsiderable expense.

Nirvahna arrived at the beginning of the week when I was lucky enough to trial 'The Dream' speaker cables, built by Bigman80 of this parish.
    The overriding impression when I had to remove these leads and put back my previous leads was that the system was broken, in comparison flat and lifeless.
    Once heard there was no way I could live without the performance so I have built my own pair of 'The Dream'.

Here comes the bit where you will be thinking 'he's over eulogising, how can a change of wire have that much effect?'
    Honestly I am at a loss to explain it, I thought I was using good OCC copper before. It just goes to show that even at audio frequencies we don't actually know what is happening with the transmission of signals through wire.

I would suggest that you need a highly resolving system to hear the full benefit but now the Neurochrome 286 amp and the Quad 57's seem to be mated to an astonishing degree.

First impressions playing Hotel California on CD, such realism of the crowd and applause. Astounding punch and clarity across the board, the kick drum is so solid it makes your hairs stand on end.
    Englishman in New York by Sting, again on CD, shows there is double tracking to the percussion, I've never heard that before.

Everything is clearer and more balanced with pinpoint imaging, whatever the source.

These cables won't find their way into many system due to the expense but I can't think of any other position in the chain to obtain such an uplift in performance for the same outlay.

EDIT Is this review too understated? This cable is EPIC.
    Can i ask please, what is the new cable and how much?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Bigman80 has called this cable 'The Dream' and has produced a 4m pair for around £700.

This is very similar to the commercial Silver Dart speaker cable at £1900 for a 2.5m pair, but without the shield.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast