+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Clash

I'm Syed.

Hi Adam,
    It's just banter, nothing serious!

As it's Halloween......

I'm Robert.

If there is one song/tune that is absolutely synonymous with the term 'sound system' and the genre of music thereof, it is this one.

I cannot imagine a single person who knows about sound systems, in anyway whatsoever, who will not know this monster track.

Released in 1977, it was one of those songs that anyone who heard it at a 'dance or 'clash' would never forget, it was a talking point or as we say 'A Big tune !'

If your sound system was on the receiving end of it before it was 'known', it was night over for you, 'clash as good as lost' It's impact was that huge, pumping out of huge quad boxes, with 15 and 18 inch woofers in them.

Not only is the 'b-line' tight, growling and heavy, it goes deep deep sub deep.

I remember the first time I heard it, as a lad in Leeds outside the Community Centre doors in Chapeltown. I'd never heard bass so deep in my life. The doors were literally rattling off their hinges.

Everything about this track is unforgettable, the vocals and lyrics of Fabian (Fabian, Faybiene, Fabienne, Fabiene) Miranda, haunting, apocalyptic yet oh so melodic with one heck of a rhythm section to match, but above all, this is a 'sound system' classic of the highest order - no question !

She did do other tunes after, but she'll always and in my case, be remembered for this monster piece - RIP Fabian Miranda. https://www.reggae-vibes.com/article...erview-part-1/

https://www.discogs.com/artist/94865...ybiene+Miranda

Ladies and gents, I give you the reggae classic, Prophecy..........

My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Arthur.

Nice to be joined by some *illustrious* people!

**** Syed before you comment I know I already posted the TIME UNLIMITED labelled version of second tune

I'm Arthur.

With the help of many many people I have worked my way down to the Sansui AU-919 (cheers again Rob - cannot wait) and the Tannoy Ardens or 15DMT-IIs for my home living room system to play my very slowly growing collection of vinyl - its mad - i'm paying £40+ for each single VG+ or NM - some are £300 for one 7!

I have been told that my barn is going to swallow the Tannoys. My question to you guys is what would be the best way to get the real deal sound system sound in my barn save finding an old box builder in Chapeltown or Wandsworth! I have been advised to buy, cause they were real cheap some JBL cinema speakers. I have already got the attached three and am driving to Hull in two weeks to pick up these subs to go with it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-4645B...53a80e1a507b8e

What are your thoughts? Rob will I need to buy a Krell power amp to juice them up? Or will your Sansui do it? Is this whole cinema speakers thing a silly idea? I will prob post this in a new post altogether but seeing as I have you guys who actually know what they are talking about here.... Sorry for spoiling the straight clash with a conversation - if you leave these Qs unanswered Ill understand! Also while I am at it. Loads of people were dissing valve amps for reggae - as they allegedly distort (syrupy/muddy?) base but I have noticed that they were standard in dances so whats the deal?

Basically its all well and good having a little dance in my house - and I am pleased with what I think I will be getting - but I ultimately want to rock out full volume. Shake my solar-plexus and feel the healing vibes from the sunny isle So I want the ideal. Its going to take me a bit of time to get my hifi set up I just want to know what to aim for with the barn. Don't mind if it take ten years and costs 10k. Just dreaming here....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Arthur.

Playing this one first when the big ones built. I know its not sound system culture but I like oldies!

I'm Arthur.

or this one....

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by tornpower View Post
    With the help of many many people I have worked my way down to the Sansui AU-919 (cheers again Rob - cannot wait) and the Tannoy Ardens or 15DMT-IIs for my home living room system to play my very slowly growing collection of vinyl - its mad - i'm paying £40+ for each single VG+ or NM - some are £300 for one 7!

I have been told that my barn is going to swallow the Tannoys. My question to you guys is what would be the best way to get the real deal sound system sound in my barn save finding an old box builder in Chapeltown or Wandsworth! I have been advised to buy, cause they were real cheap some JBL cinema speakers. I have already got the attached three and am driving to Hull in two weeks to pick up these subs to go with it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-4645B...53a80e1a507b8e

What are your thoughts? Rob will I need to buy a Krell power amp to juice them up? Or will your Sansui do it? Is this whole cinema speakers thing a silly idea? I will prob post this in a new post altogether but seeing as I have you guys who actually know what they are talking about here.... Sorry for spoiling the straight clash with a conversation - if you leave these Qs unanswered Ill understand! Also while I am at it. Loads of people were dissing valve amps for reggae - as they allegedly distort (syrupy/muddy?) base but I have noticed that they were standard in dances so whats the deal?

Basically its all well and good having a little dance in my house - and I am pleased with what I think I will be getting - but I ultimately want to rock out full volume. Shake my solar-plexus and feel the healing vibes from the sunny isle So I want the ideal. Its going to take me a bit of time to get my hifi set up I just want to know what to aim for with the barn. Don't mind if it take ten years and costs 10k. Just dreaming here....
    Hi Arthur,

The AU-919 is no slouch and an excellent amp. It will work beautifully in your indoors/home system.

With regard to your barn system. In order to get that proper sound system weight and sound as you describe, I think would be quite demanding for most integrated amps.

I still think that in order to have the power, weight, deep earth shaking bass you desire, in a barn, you are going to need some big powerful amplification.

That may well be in the form of separate amps dedicated to driving individual sections ie: tops, mid, bass.

I'm sure that's the approach sound systems often took in order to achieve 'that sound' in large space.

I know they often used home made / bespoke valve amps, and H and H guitar amps etc back in the 70's / 80's.

How they configured it all, I don't have that experience.

Others may have advice with regard how best to go about amplification for a barn system driving big JBL's and multiple big speakers / sound in big space.

And yeah, might be a good idea to start a new thread around this and what you're looking to achieve
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 03-11-2019 at 13:35.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Arthur.

Cheers Rob I will look into it. Like I said its a pipe dream for now - Although I do have these speakers My priority is setting up my home... I will post a bigger question out to the wider community and see what happens. Let me know when the amps ready

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by shahsy View Post
    Ok now I have to deal with two sound boys.....WEstlower and Robbie Gong and they both play the same tune......amateur sound bwoys!

Here is a later dub cut to Mittoo's Norwegian Wood entitled Blacker Shade of Dub with Scientist in the mix...In fact check out the whole LP entitled Scientific Dub!

Syed this is great. Do you know any other dub tunes with that kind of rolling break?

I'm Syed.

Yes, that Fabian Miranda is one of favorites, so much so I think I have three copies, 7" on Wolf, 12" on Tribesman and Island. Jack Ruby Production.

@Tornpower If could tell me what a rolling break is then maybe I could help!

Here is another wall shaker, Bunny Wailer's Rise & Shine....enjoy......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast