+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot sale 2019

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Thanks Guys - it was a 'consolation' after seeing various traders wanting £2 or more for CDs. My local charity shop only charges £1 for CDs, some even less.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

A bit chilly this morning at car boot, but I think it was worth going - I got a new Briton door closer for a job tomorrow, cost a tenner (Screwfix price £60), and used some of the money saved for a new, still sealed vinyl copy of Roger Waters' "Is this the Life we really Want?" which I've never heard, but at twelve quid for a double album has to be worth a punt
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I've stopped going to boot sales for the year (it's now too cold), but did pick up a couple of items in a charity shop recently, both in perfect condition:

Beethoven - The Early Quartets. Seraphim SIC-6005 (3 LP boxed set)

and musically somewhat completely different:

Hans Werner Henze - 5 Symphonies. DGG 410 937-1 (1966) 2 LP set.

Barry

I'm brian.

Too Cold ?. Do like a Mozart Divvy record, have no 3 and 10 in Decca jubilee series, Simply gorgeous. Is the booty close to Dag, could even cycle or tube it over there for a decent scrummage around.
    Nice finds there Barry, enjoy.

I'm Mike.

I only ever find crap at boot sales so I stopped going, same with charity shops, you can feel yourself dying inside.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Steve.

I stopped bothering with charity shops after I came across Led Zep's 'Physical Graffiti' on vinyl in a Barnardo's shop, which looked like they'd found it in a skip. They were asking £99 for it, and had it in a locked glass case to make it look more valuable

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I stopped bothering with charity shops after I came across Led Zep's 'Physical Graffiti' on vinyl in a Barnardo's shop, which looked like they'd found it in a skip. They were asking £99 for it, and had it in a locked glass case to make it look more valuable
    Yeh talk about over zealous!! That is exactly what its like in Brighton, I stopped bothering years ago. Mind you my record collection has been somewhat static for the past 5 years, Ebay is full of the same - overpriced overated buy it nows, mother stampers, bla bla…...
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Inclined to agree with some of the sentiments expressed above regarding charity shops (especially Oxfam), but there are charity shops and there are charity shops.

Some simply look up the disc on ebay or discogs to see typical selling price, and will charge that regardless of condition (especially Oxfam). Others will simply ask £1 or £2 for vinyl, whereas some 'cherry pick' and select those that they think will sell and will charge, say £5.

I rarely buy anything other than classical music LPs either in a charity shop or at a boot sale; and then I'm very selective and always examine the disc very closely. In my experience the condition of the sleeve is often a good indication of the state of the record. Again, and this is somewhat contentious, based on samples I have found, classical music lovers seem to look after their records better than others.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

This was certainly true of my mum and dad's classical records, which were kept and stored with some care, and were generally listened to when at home alone. Unlike me, who often played records in the company of friends. And as teenagers we didn't give any thought to 'actions and consequences' - so often the vinyl would suffer beer spills, fag ash and 'boulder burns', and often found their way into the wrong sleeves, if they got put away at all! Played on crappy old record players, using the same long-suffering stylus for ever. It's amazing any pop/rock records survived the 60s and 70s

I'll give some of the lesser-known charity shops a go - town centres are full of them, now that no one else can afford the council tax.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12