+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did B&W ever make speakers for Sony?

I'm Craig.

Default Did B&W ever make speakers for Sony?

A guy locally is selling a pair of Sony Speakers, biwireable if that helps point to a particular model, that he claims were made by B&W, now, my second Ďproper Ď pair of speakers back in about 1970 were B&W, and Iíve always been interested in what they manufactured, but have never heard of them doing anything for Sony...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Naim Mu-So
    Thatís all.
    Nothing else.

I'm Richie.

the big washing mashines - ss7000(?)

I'm graham.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    A guy locally is selling a pair of Sony Speakers, biwireable if that helps point to a particular model, that he claims were made by B&W, now, my second Ďproper Ď pair of speakers back in about 1970 were B&W, and Iíve always been interested in what they manufactured, but have never heard of them doing anything for Sony...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They most certainly did. I have two different pairs, but canít remember the model numbers right now - one is a Sony branded version of B&W DM2ís (I think.) when I get time Iíll check, but my two pairs arenít very big, large bookshelf.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Lawrence.

Maybe DM1s I'm not sure I've seen Sony branded DM2s

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Maybe DM1s I'm not sure I've seen Sony branded DM2s

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Just googled and mine are ďDM1Ē so not DM2, got my models muddled up. Not sure what the other ones are but will check when I can.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm James.

If B&W did manufacture speakers for Sony, that could explain why my 70's Sony bookshelf speakers sound so good. I would not be surprised as Sony used Gerrard decks in their music centres so it may well be the case they use B&W for their speakers?
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Craig.

These are the ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Naim Mu-So
    Thatís all.
    Nothing else.

I'm nigel.

Those are Sony SS176.
    The tweeter in particular is rather good.
    I recently modded a 4 way transmission line kit speaker built in the early 70s. The T27 and Coles 4001 were swapped out for the Sony's and (with a suitably modded xover) much improved the top end.

P.s....I have the bass drivers going free if anyone needs them.

+ Reply to Thread