+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon lossless.

I'm John.

Default Amazon lossless.

Amazon is now offering a free trial of lossless audio.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Never knew they did lossless, thanks for the tip-off - might be worth investigating.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Never knew they did lossless, thanks for the tip-off - might be worth investigating.
    I think it's a very recent development, Alex.
    I'm listening now, streaming over Airplay to RPi/Katana with Moode and I have to say the sound quality is impressive. I haven't been a great fan of Airplay in the past but this is pretty good. 90 days free trial is generous too.
    You need to download the Amazon music player to get the full HD.

Edit: Having just praised the sound it has now turned grainy and unpleasant. Streaming over UPnP, as can be done with Tidal and Qobuz, is more reliable in my experience.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks John - I'm moving house on Friday (and will be without internet for a week or so) but will check it out when I'm back in the 21st century!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm malcolm.

Just upgraded to the free trial, was already using unlimited, I also have an unlimited Mobile data plan with fast speeds so well pleased that I can now get HD on the move.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Amazon is now offering a free trial of lossless audio.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Have signed on - good sound on my setup (previously the Amazon streaming was rubbish sound imo) but quite a limited (classical) music catalogue as yet.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Have signed on - good sound on my setup (previously the Amazon streaming was rubbish sound imo) but quite a limited (classical) music catalogue as yet.
    I listen mostly to classical and I think the catalogue is pretty good but the search function isn't great.

I'm Andrew.

I have signed up to a free trial and using an Amazon Fire TV box feeding an Onkyo AT unit through Harbeth Compact Monitors . Firstly all the playlists that were on the old Amazon Music are now all tracks at HD (CD quality) with some in Ultra HD . There seems to be no control of this Amazon just uses the best quality version it can .

Now sound quality well I have listened to quite a number of tracks using Amazon then the same track as a Flac file from my Library and I have not been able to notice any difference. The sound ,separation and tone has been so close that I would not be able to say which was which .

As all of my Library tips are checked by Accurate Rip I can only assume that the Amazon streams are straight digital files of the original CD,s and they are not being filtered or mixed as some other streaming providers have been accused.

So I should be happy and considering signing up but I am not. Because Amazon do not have an APP/Plugin for LMS and others I would only be able to use this in one system in one room and that makes it not any use. Reading the Squeezebox Forums it appears that this will not change and unless Amazon decide to offer something I will be cancelling this at the end of the free period.

I am going to see if I can give this feedback to Amazon but no idea if they would consider a solution.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    I listen mostly to classical and I think the catalogue is pretty good but the search function isn't great.
    Maybe I just need to try harder to find stuff!
    But I did try quite hard.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Maybe I just need to try harder to find stuff!
    But I did try quite hard.
    Just to illustrate the perversity of the Search: A search for 'Anton Reicha' turns up 4 albums, whereas searching for 'Reicha' brings over 60 albums of music by Anton Reicha!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast