Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 ohms?

I'm Lawrence.

I was thinking Maggie's too.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What are the speakers?
    They are actually ones that are supplied with a Panasonic SC PMX9 mini system, but they sound amazing ( and I believe I’ve had some damned good speakers in my time!)
    Possibly the fact they have a super tweeter in them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Dominic.

I thought the 3 ohm figure was a typo, but no, the spec clearly states 3 ohms.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/70...9.html?page=18
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Dennis.

A few years ago I sold a pair of ML CLS2s for a friend, and he provided a NAP 250 to drive them. It kept cutting out due to its thermal protection, and a dealer who came to audition said that he could not buy them on the basis of what he had heard. (They dip down to about 1.5ohms I believe).

I then used my ATC SIA150, and it was fine, even at high levels - many awards, and a Mk 1 will be quite cheap, I paid £800 in '02.

I'm Shane.

My Dad has a JVC UX-D457S. The supplied speakers are 2 ohms, lol.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Lawrence.

Those little systems must have pretty good amps with high current delivery. Either that or they sound a bit crap with the packaged speakers

I'm Craig.

Default 3 ohms?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Those little systems must have pretty good amps with high current delivery. Either that or they sound a bit crap with the packaged speakers

They certainly do not sound crap!

I’m not easily impressed, hence once some time back visiting a former members house and hearing his MF lozenge shape CD player through the matching amp, into PMC GB1’s, and thinking how comparatively unimpressive it sounded.

This dinky Panny thing sounds amazing, as I said, possibly because of the super tweeters in the speakers.
    When they were first on sale they sold at £600, now, I know in the great scheme of things Hifi, that isn’t a lot of money, but I’ve spent much more on ‘proper ‘ Hifi that didn’t sound as good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My Quad 510 monoblocks can provide 130W into any load impedance from 2 to 75 Ohm.

Any amplifier capable of driving 4 Ohm speakers should be suitable. The Quad 57s have an impedance which falls to 1.5 Ohm at 10kHz, yet all the Quad amps (303, 405, 510, 606 etc.) drive them well.
    Barry

I'm Craig.

Thing is, I don’t know whether it’s the main body of the unit (amplifier) or the speakers that make it sound so good, possibly a combination of the two...however, the only amp I now have to hand only lists the power as being 60 watts @ 8 ohms, so I’m not sure about connecting the Panny speakers to it...?
    It’s an Onkyo A 9211 by the way.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Thing is, I don’t know whether it’s the main body of the unit (amplifier) or the speakers that make it sound so good, possibly a combination of the two...however, the only amp I now have to hand only lists the power as being 60 watts @ 8 ohms, so I’m not sure about connecting the Panny speakers to it...?
    It’s an Onkyo A 9211 by the way.
    Surely that is 60 watts into 4 ohms. In any event, I can't see any problems with trying this out at moderate to low levels and seeing how your amp copes. If it gets hot or you have to push the volume control to very high levels than there may be a problem, though I doubt it. This will give you a sense of the performance of the speakers outside the system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast