+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete speaker enclosure

I'm Michael.

Default Concrete speaker enclosure

Hello. I am planning to make some speakers out of 50 mm thick concrete paving slabs. Cutting the slabs to size is not a problem with a circular saw, diamond blade and guide. The bit that troubles me is doing the driver cut outs . Any ideas of the best way to get nice clean circles cut out ?

Thanks.

I'm mark.

I made a slate plinth, used 2 tools. Drilled holes through, then joined the dots up with jig saw. Finished off with angle grinder.

Not pretty and I'd recommend an air fed mask.
    Think I'd be getting water jet quotes, and/or looking at casting with the holes already formed.

Good luck.

I'm julian.

..what Mark said - use some small re-bar to reinforce and make moulds the correct size for the drivers you intend to use.
    Maybe stainless steel re-bar ? or something non magnetic..
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Michael.

Thanks for the replies. I did not want to really go to the hassle of casting my own baffle but maybe i will give it a go It gets tricky with driver rebates as well. It's just that i have a number of slabs available for free and would have preferred to use them if possible.

As the baffle is subject to the most vibration it seems a daft idea to make the baffle out of wood and the rest out of concrete. The other option is to cut out the hole with drill etc and then stick on a thin layer of wood on the outside so no rebates required Cabinet dimensions are getting even bigger then.

I'm Mel.

A water jet cnc will do the job and many small engineering firms have them. It would probably entail a 2 hour charge which in the south would be £50 an hour but much less up north.

Mel

I'm Dennis.

I agree with Mark, and also your point about an extra layer of wood to prevent rebating needs.

If you cast I recommend that you include a large amount of PVA in the cement, not only does it increase strength which will be good around the holes,, but it will lower the Q.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Wow , this sounds pretty hardcore

/coat
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Rob.

Find a local company that makes stone kitchen tops. They'll often cut stone to order - and if they can cut a hole for a sink - they should be able to cut the sort of hole you're after.

Not Hi-Fi, but a local company sold me a bit of marble offcut - and cut it to a template I gave them. It now nicely fills the gap between the end of my bath and the wall.
    Rob.