+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos In The Sales Section

I'm Chris.

Unfortunately this is increasingly typical in the modern day chaps. Just the way of the world now. Less time for grammatical correctness but all the time in the world for the political aforementioned.

Stay out of it where you can is my mantra now and I'm 32.....
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Mike.

I had a lively discussion with fellow teachers the other day on the past, present and the future. It was a tense debate.

I'm Grant.

take it you gave them a bit of verbal then
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Your four groats' worth is appreciated, Martin, but 'and' is a conjunction too. There are so many forms of English now and with internet/social media based corruption, I guess you're right.

Dennis, I'm working on my tombstone epigraph a la Spike Milligan, only grammatically themed.

I've just returned from Barclays Bank after being asked by the teller if 'I received statements regular'. Seriously ! Of course, I corrected her but I really don't think she was educated enough to understand; a middle-aged woman, too!

Being able to use formal written English is essential but in speech I don't think it matters so much. And I count typing on forums as 'speech'. However I see too much poor grammar in written communication at work, there is no excuse for it there. They shouldn't be doing a job that requires it if they don't know how to do it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They shouldn't be doing a job that requires it if they don't know how to do it.
    Yup, and you always say the same about those Thai girls at the massage parlour, when they ease your aches and pains, but fail to deliver a 'happy ending'...

Marco.

I'm Martin.

I know. I don't know why I keep going back there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The current, and annoying, habit of starting a sentence with "so", is no different to the past habit of starting one with "well". It is just a device, which gives the respondent time to think of a suitable reply, yet indicate to the questioner that they are not being ignored. Silence, or to give it its modern term 'dead space', is very unsettling to listeners. That is why in a typical reply, there will be a lot or redundant "err"s and "um"s.

Whilst I lament the increasing mangling of the English language, it has to be remembered that English is a living language, which changes and adapts itself by, and to suit the users. As long as the message is clearly understood, then I will tolerate (though inwardly grimace at) the poor grammar.

That said, I still dislike the American fashion of using nouns as verbs: why say, for example “it was gifted”, when one should say, “it was given”? What is the difference between “authoring a book” and “writing a book”?
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Greta, a joy to listen to, a Goddess compared with the cliched twaddle of the main media mob. I am also very impressed with what the young, 7 to 18 are saying, and the quality of their thinking, very mature and well expressed.

"Unfortunately this is increasingly typical in the modern day chaps. Just the way of the world now. Less time for grammatical correctness but all the time in the world for the political aforementioned. "

Yes, but if English is a tool, it is important that it be sharp to do its job properly.

"Being able to use formal written English is essential but in speech I don't think it matters so much. And I count typing on forums as 'speech'. However I see too much poor grammar in written communication at work, there is no excuse for it there. They shouldn't be doing a job that requires it if they don't know how to do it. "

Spoken word is different from that written, it also often is accompanied by intonation, inflexion and social signal cues from the speaker. I also hate being told to listen by the speaker, and stutter intros designed to get attention.

"As long as the message is clearly understood", that is a moot point, often it is ambiguous or unintelligible.
    Last edited by Pharos; 22-09-2019 at 08:47.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think that you should always try to maintain high standards, whether communicating in writing or via speech, as otherwise it encourages laziness. Then bad habits set in, and before you know it, become the norm.

That's one of the reasons why I abhor 'text speak'. On the odd occasions I send texts, I write the same way as I would any other time, with proper spelling and punctuation, but frequently run out of space!

Also, in the preparatory school I attended as a child, I was given elocution lessons and taught how to enunciate and articulate words properly, and improve my diction, so that I knew how to express myself clearly and precisely.

It's a skill I've used to great effect over the years, especially in job interviews, as you'd stand out from the crowd, and at one time, I don't know about now, in the types of jobs I was applying for, employers would consider it as an asset if you were well spoken and well mannered. Two skills that are sadly lacking among people in today's society.

It's also helped when I've done public speaking, as people tend to sit up and take notice of someone who's confident and can articulate themselves well, which helps get your point across. These days, as Dennis and Mike have pointed out, all you often get are unintelligible mumbles, or maybe a grunt if you're lucky...!

Marco.

I'm Grant.

a girl submitted this as an essay to her teacher in west of scotland school..

My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we usd 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kds FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc

it translates to... My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York, it's a great place.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast