+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos In The Sales Section

I'm Dennis.

"Also, in the preparatory school I attended as a child, I was given elocution lessons and taught how to enunciate and articulate words properly, and improve my diction, so that I knew how to express myself clearly and precisely."

In primary school, in an ordinary country village, Ryton on Dunsmore, we were taught that we should be able to spell words from hearing their pronunciation. I believe that this is referred to as teaching phonemes, and often that is impossible with media people.

I'm also struggling with the numerousness and obscurity of acronyms.

I'm Neil.

Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Language evolves, English isnt a static fixed thing, its organic. I am sure there were those cried about the good old days when thee, thou etc died.

This thread is about issues with photos in the sales section, still an issue since posting this thread. Still members wanting their cake and eat it, but not willing to follow the sites rules.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a girl submitted this as an essay to her teacher in west of scotland school..

My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we usd 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kds FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc

it translates to... My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York, it's a great place.
    Lol... We can laugh, but what's behind and has promoted shit like that, to the status of becoming 'the norm' among, say, the sub-30s, is partly why our society is in such a state

Marco.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Language evolves, English isnt a static fixed thing, its organic. I am sure there were those cried about the good old days when thee, thou etc died.

This thread is about issues with photos in the sales section, still an issue since posting this thread. Still members wanting their cake and eat it, but not willing to follow the sites rules.
    Neil, it's all intrinsically linked, as it stems from having the right attitude and seeking to achieve high standards.

Lazy thinking, and the 'fuck it, I can't be arsed'/apply the minimal effort attitude, is as responsible for poor spoken and written communication these days, as it is for some members here putting crap pictures in their ads, or not reading the site's rules and complying with them.

As soon as you get into the above apathetic mindset, it manifests itself on your life in many different ways - none of it good!

Marco.

P.S. AoS thread-drift is legendary, and on this occasion it's given this rather important topic some free bumps

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A girl submitted this as an essay to her teacher in a west of Scotland school..

My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we usd 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kds FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc

This would have flummoxed Alan Turing !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "

I'm also struggling with the numerousness and obscurity of acronyms.
    Where I work everything is acronyms because the company sort of evolved from the US military. It's a nightmare. And you have to deal with the date being written the wrong way round too,
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Language evolves, English isn't a static fixed thing, its organic. I am sure there were those who cried about the good old days when thee, thou etc. died.

Apologies for the continued diversion, but that age-old saw about English evolving (or any other language, presumably), misses the fundamental tenet that vocabulary evolves and syntax may change order and meaning, but the grammatical structure (not spelling) rarely does, and then only by underuse.

As an example of the proliferation of a grammatically impossible useage, ****self is reflexive only; it cannot be used as a subject; nor as an object unless the relevant personal pronoun precedes it. " Myself and my friend", e.g. A British Telecom ignoramus on the dog and bone (!) recently kept saying "yourself" instead of "you". After a number of admonishments by me, he put the phone down, thereby potentially losing a contract. Ignorance is still the bliss it always was, it seems.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    have to deal with the date being written the wrong way round too,
    That really pisses me off; it's utterly illogical from a chronological viewpoint.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    That really pisses me off; it's utterly illogical from a chronological viewpoint.
    It would be more logical to use year/month/day.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast