+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos In The Sales Section

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    it really doesn't get any easier than https://postimages.org/
    A million thank yous Jamie, that's the first hosting site I've managed to get to work on this forum
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Dennis.

"Lol... We can laugh, but what's behind and has promoted shit like that, to the status of becoming 'the norm' among, say, the sub-30s, is partly why our society is in such a state"

Probably more of an index/correlate than causal.

"Language evolves, English isnt a static fixed thing, its organic. I am sure there were those cried about the good old days when thee, thou etc died. "

Yes, but surely evolution and progression not retrogression.

"As soon as you get into the above apathetic mindset, it manifests itself on your life in many different ways - none of it good!"

Yes, it is a sloppiness which can become embedded in the person's character, and can wreak havoc on their whole lives.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post

As an example of the proliferation of a grammatically impossible useage, ****self is reflexive only; it cannot be used as a subject; nor as an object unless the relevant personal pronoun precedes it. " Myself and my friend", e.g. A British Telecom ignoramus on the dog and bone (!) recently kept saying "yourself" instead of "you". After a number of admonishments by me, he put the phone down, thereby potentially losing a contract. Ignorance is still the bliss it always was, it seems.
    Regrettably this error is now widespread. No idea how it started but it winds me up something chronic. Especially when you've pointed out that not only is it incorrect but makes them sound like a total idiot, and then they carry on doing it! I have to put up with it every day at work, both with people on the phone and in e-mails. 'have you sent it to ourselves?' - One woman advised that it is 'The formal way' to say 'Have you sent it to us?'

When I told her that was utter bollocks she got quite sniffy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

English as we know it is a forgotten language.

I'm Grant.

Ah-So
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

The usage of "ourselves" as cited above has to me certain connotations.

It sounds like a Dickensian attempt to ingratiate the listener into an intimacy, as though the spoken to is being recruited into a clique.

I'm Gary.

Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Regrettably this error is now widespread. No idea how it started but it winds me up something chronic. Especially when you've pointed out that not only is it incorrect but makes them sound like a total idiot, and then they carry on doing it! I have to put up with it every day at work, both with people on the phone and in e-mails. 'have you sent it to ourselves?' - One woman advised that it is 'The formal way' to say 'Have you sent it to us?'

When I told her that was utter bollocks she got quite sniffy.

Agreed, Martin. However, like the 'so' preceding an answer, this reflexive use is pure pretentiousness. As you/Dennis says, this becomes embedded to create a new but utterly incorrect norm.. Norman has a lot to answer for !

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    English as we know it is a forgotten language.
    English as we KNEW it........ (fify)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "Lol... We can laugh, but what's behind and has promoted shit like that, to the status of becoming 'the norm' among, say, the sub-30s, is partly why our society is in such a state"

Probably more of an index/correlate than causal.

"Language evolves, English isnt a static fixed thing, its organic. I am sure there were those cried about the good old days when thee, thou etc died. "

Yes, but surely evolution and progression not retrogression.

"As soon as you get into the above apathetic mindset, it manifests itself on your life in many different ways - none of it good!"

Yes, it is a sloppiness which can become embedded in the person's character, and can wreak havoc on their whole lives.
    Dennis, dear boy, one day in the (admittedly) distant future, when you've mastered how to post pictures on forums, and yes that monumentous event will occur, I'll take you to the next, albeit even headier level, and teach you how to use the quote function

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast