+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Van den Hul The Grail vs TRilogy 907

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I don't think back to back listening necessarily resolves very much, certainly not with kit that's reasonably matched in terms of price/performance. Time gets consumed identifying differences in presentation and labelling them as 'better' or 'worse'. Too much of this you don't end up any further forward as it becomes an intellectual exercise, with added pressure and confusion.

Put one in for a week without messing around and feel how you respond to it emotionally. Swap it round and do the same. Only compare after you've done this with both how often you did (or didn't) find yourself drawn to just sit and listen to the music, how curious you were to hear how x album sounded vs the last time you listened to it, how much fun you were having. Your guts will tell you the answer if you listen to them.

I've always felt the most satisfied with my conclusions when I've done comparisons this way. Where I haven't done it that way and have flogged stuff off (as I all too often have) to get my mits on the new and the sparkly (occasionally without auditioning first), that's when I end up later buying back stuff for a proper listen to make sure I've done the right thing. I've made quite a few changes of late and just about all of them have been done with careful evaluation over days and weeks, not an afternoon, where either you just end up unsure or (worse) where some characteristic jumps out and makes an impression, but that ultimately isn't the whole story.
    I also find this the best way to assess different gear. Changing stuff in and out at quick intervals is as you say time consuming, and I'd add frustrating. I find mostly that improvements show up immediately.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Peter.

Thanks Mike. That is what I will do. I will start with the Trilogy 907 tonight and let it play for the next week.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I don't think back to back listening necessarily resolves very much, certainly not with kit that's reasonably matched in terms of price/performance. Time gets consumed identifying differences in presentation and labelling them as 'better' or 'worse'. Too much of this you don't end up any further forward as it becomes an intellectual exercise, with added pressure and confusion.

Put one in for a week without messing around and feel how you respond to it emotionally. Swap it round and do the same. Only compare after you've done this with both how often you did (or didn't) find yourself drawn to just sit and listen to the music, how curious you were to hear how x album sounded vs the last time you listened to it, how much fun you were having. Your guts will tell you the answer if you listen to them.

I've always felt the most satisfied with my conclusions when I've done comparisons this way. Where I haven't done it that way and have flogged stuff off (as I all too often have) to get my mits on the new and the sparkly (occasionally without auditioning first), that's when I end up later buying back stuff for a proper listen to make sure I've done the right thing. I've made quite a few changes of late and just about all of them have been done with careful evaluation over days and weeks, not an afternoon, where either you just end up unsure or (worse) where some characteristic jumps out and makes an impression, but that ultimately isn't the whole story.

Having said all that I'm rather surprised The Grail isn't doing more for you, I don't know the 906 but I had a Trilogy 907 a few years back and it wasn't a keeper, I would have expected The Grail with its LCR design to be streets ahead not just in technical sophisticiation but in what LCR phono stages in the main do beautifully which is fine detail (particularly inner voices or timbral accuracy), spatial cues like 3D placement, room acoustics, and so on. I've been using LCR stages for 6+ years now (Aurorasound Vida, EAR 912 and latterly Allnic H7000V) and have no plans to go back.

BTW I wouldn't expect the Partridge 977 to sound that great with the Benz, it needs a lot more than 1:6 step-up I would think, I'd be looking at 1:12-1:15 upwards.
    I have to say this is amongst the most excellent advice I have come across on this forum...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Peter.

I am now switching between vinyl replay of The Strangler's album, "Aural Sculture" (into Trilogy 907) and the same album streamed from my PC through my Line Magnetic 502CA. There may be a little more detail (or a more well-lit top) - including sound stage - through the DAC but the sound through the Trilogy 907 is a smidgeon warmer than through the DAC. There is very little between them. The Pass B1 pre makes everything sound a tad leaner (more neutral) than I was used to with my Herron valve pre.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12