+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm just a primary school teacher and I need help :(

Bigman80 Guest

This has been some journey people.

Oli - Only just saw that picture of the JBL DD55000. Literally lmao. One day! Look like its 10k each one on Ebay. Its not out of the question but will take me a long time - or maybe teachers will finally get bankers wages. Never know...

Just showing you how ridiculous this lark can be lol

This is a distillation of everyones input that has been sincerely appreciated. Ive said it before but it really makes you believe in humanity all this outpouring of wisdom to an ignorant stranger asking for help.

Amp: it doesn't sound like (unless I stump up 20k for the DD55000s - which is to some extent the dream but not possible) I need the power of the Krell KSA100 and I should actually, given my budgetary constrictions go for the Sansui AU-919 amplifier. This feels like a good fix and its nice to see some consensus here. I like the look of it and have faith in Bigman80 (Oli's) advice - particularly given that he is literally doing himself out of work. Appreciate it bud.

There's no point going mental at the minute when HiEnd can be done in one box. This isnt always the case but my opinion is that for a first proper setup, an amplifier like the 919 would be perfect for you to use and keep your budget free for arguably the most important bit......the speakers!

Oli I know you said that your friend would be potentially be appalled at the refurbishment is this one going to be spoilt too? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sansui-AU...8AAOSwFalccrrv

Beautiful but over priced IMO. Send Phonomac a PM and ask if he has a Sansui for sale. Last time i was at his place, he had more than 5 Sansui amps stashed away lol. Robbie Gong (member here) Has bought amps via Angus (Phonomac) before and will happily suggest a good model to look out for too.

Speakers: Right now it is the Tannoy 15 DMT II, Tannoy Arden or the JBL 4367 or 4365s. I know that the last two are significantly out of my budget but Ive got a good mind to listen to Macca and just start saving. If anyone knows a reputable person who has any of these for sale please let me know. Even if its in six months!!!

Equalizer: Here what Macca is saying about suddenly seeing what it should have sounded like all along and not needing to f with the levels but I still feel like it might need it so am keen to hear his and Mr. Ian's advice and get Klarke Technik. Adrian is this same company your talking about? Is this Technics SH-8075 better?

You wont need this with a Sansui, it has tone controls so you can exert some fine tuning with them. More budget saved.

Oli what does this mean? New cart like the AT95: £100? Is this the Cartridge for the TT that people keep referring to?

Yes, an absolute rock solid performer for a ridiculously low price. I had one for a long time and there was nothing it didn't do well. Obviously, there's better but get one of these to start with for your new 1210 TT

Turntable: I am inclined to listen to Macca again on this one and stump up for the SL1200GR. I know this will hurt my budget but somehow I think this whole thing deserves another year saving...

Yes, it's great value BUT there was a 1210 Mk2 for sale recently with Origin Live tonearm for sale at £400 recently. You aren't gonna go wrong with it. I'd wait to see if a used one comes available if you must have one of the GR's.

That said if anyone hears of those models of speakers around for a good price and in good shape I will find the money immediately!

Just a general question if I end up going for the more expensive JBLs - say the 4365 - should I have stumped for the beefy Krell in the first place or is the Sansui still going to work?

I have heard it said on multiple occasions that Tannoys are not fantastic with Solid state amplifiers like the Sansui BUT i haven't heard it so couldn't be 100% sure about it. Again, Macca or Walpurgis are the JBL & Tannoy speaker guru's.

Shahsy - lets continue this chat in private. You seem to know a tonne more than me and I look forward to sharing some killer cuts. Unless anyone wants to here us clash!?

Spent the afternoon teaching Reception PE. A world away from this forum although I've been waiting all day to get back here. Thank you all so much!!

Last question: Do I need gold plated speaker cables or something - someone told me that once!

I'll hook you up for cables when you're ready. Don't spend silly money. No point spending £4k on a system and putting bell wire on the speakers but you don't need high priced nonsense either. !! I have a few cables that we can discuss. No rush.

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    This has been some journey people.

Oli - Only just saw that picture of the JBL DD55000. Literally lmao. One day! Look like its 10k each one on Ebay. Its not out of the question but will take me a long time - or maybe teachers will finally get bankers wages. Never know...

Just showing you how ridiculous this lark can be lol

This is a distillation of everyones input that has been sincerely appreciated. Ive said it before but it really makes you believe in humanity all this outpouring of wisdom to an ignorant stranger asking for help.

Amp: it doesn't sound like (unless I stump up 20k for the DD55000s - which is to some extent the dream but not possible) I need the power of the Krell KSA100 and I should actually, given my budgetary constrictions go for the Sansui AU-919 amplifier. This feels like a good fix and its nice to see some consensus here. I like the look of it and have faith in Bigman80 (Oli's) advice - particularly given that he is literally doing himself out of work. Appreciate it bud.

There's no point going mental at the minute when HiEnd can be done in one box. This isnt always the case but my opinion is that for a first proper setup, an amplifier like the 919 would be perfect for you to use and keep your budget free for arguably the most important bit......the speakers!

Oli I know you said that your friend would be potentially be appalled at the refurbishment is this one going to be spoilt too? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sansui-AU...8AAOSwFalccrrv

Beautiful but over priced IMO. Send Phonomac a PM and ask if he has a Sansui for sale. Last time i was at his place, he had more than 5 Sansui amps stashed away lol. Robbie Gong (member here) Has bought amps via Angus (Phonomac) before and will happily suggest a good model to look out for too.

Speakers: Right now it is the Tannoy 15 DMT II, Tannoy Arden or the JBL 4367 or 4365s. I know that the last two are significantly out of my budget but Ive got a good mind to listen to Macca and just start saving. If anyone knows a reputable person who has any of these for sale please let me know. Even if its in six months!!!

Equalizer: Here what Macca is saying about suddenly seeing what it should have sounded like all along and not needing to f with the levels but I still feel like it might need it so am keen to hear his and Mr. Ian's advice and get Klarke Technik. Adrian is this same company your talking about? Is this Technics SH-8075 better?

You wont need this with a Sansui, it has tone controls so you can exert some fine tuning with them. More budget saved.

Oli what does this mean? New cart like the AT95: £100? Is this the Cartridge for the TT that people keep referring to?

Yes, an absolute rock solid performer for a ridiculously low price. I had one for a long time and there was nothing it didn't do well. Obviously, there's better but get one of these to start with for your new 1210 TT

Turntable: I am inclined to listen to Macca again on this one and stump up for the SL1200GR. I know this will hurt my budget but somehow I think this whole thing deserves another year saving...

Yes, it's great value BUT there was a 1210 Mk2 for sale recently with Origin Live tonearm for sale at £400 recently. You aren't gonna go wrong with it. I'd wait to see if a used one comes available if you must have one of the GR's.

That said if anyone hears of those models of speakers around for a good price and in good shape I will find the money immediately!

Just a general question if I end up going for the more expensive JBLs - say the 4365 - should I have stumped for the beefy Krell in the first place or is the Sansui still going to work?

I have heard it said on multiple occasions that Tannoys are not fantastic with Solid state amplifiers like the Sansui BUT i haven't heard it so couldn't be 100% sure about it. Again, Macca or Walpurgis are the JBL & Tannoy speaker guru's.

Shahsy - lets continue this chat in private. You seem to know a tonne more than me and I look forward to sharing some killer cuts. Unless anyone wants to here us clash!?

Spent the afternoon teaching Reception PE. A world away from this forum although I've been waiting all day to get back here. Thank you all so much!!

Last question: Do I need gold plated speaker cables or something - someone told me that once!

I'll hook you up for cables when you're ready. Don't spend silly money. No point spending £4k on a system and putting bell wire on the speakers but you don't need high priced nonsense either. !! I have a few cables that we can discuss. No rush.

Cheers Oli. Take your point re. the savings with the Sansui AU-919 and great that I don't need right now to fork out for an EQ as well. Also fair point about the second hand Technics 1210s. I will keep my eyes peeled for more of these and a second hand SL1200GR potentially.

However, all this said you now have me worried about the Sansui potentially not working well with the Tannoys if I end up with either the DMT 15 II or Arden - which are both more within my price range. Any chance Macca you're still listening and could advise? Does this Sansui amp have issues with Tannoys because it is solid state? Also if I keep a search out for those two 4367 JBLs you mentioned do you think I might be able to find decent second hand ones for around 3k or is this optimistic (the 4365 being sadly too expensive right now)? Will they sound significantly better than the DMTs or Arden?

Thanks for the cables hookup I will let you know when this starts moving. Very excited now and just want to be absolutely clear this speaker amp combo is good news. Then I can buckle down look for deals and get saving!! I will message Phonomac now and hope he doesn't tell me to get lost.

As ever your a true gent for all your help.

I'm Adrian.

Arthur, I would agree with Oli he’s covered it all off well. If you go for the Sansui 919 forget the graphic equaliser for now. I have heard JBLs through a good Marantz amp some years ago and they worked well. I would have thought Tannoys would be fine as well as long as the amp can produce a good signal, in fact as I understand it a valve amp has less damping capability so can end up with woolly bass,

Cheers Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tornpower View Post

However, all this said you now have me worried about the Sansui potentially not working well with the Tannoys if I end up with either the DMT 15 II or Arden - which are both more within my price range. Any chance Macca you're still listening and could advise? Does this Sansui amp have issues with Tannoys because it is solid state? Also if I keep a search out for those two 4367 JBLs you mentioned do you think I might be able to find decent second hand ones for around 3k or is this optimistic (the 4365 being sadly too expensive right now)? Will they sound significantly better than the DMTs or Arden?
    Good amps are good amps and bad amps are bad amps, doesn't matter if it is valve or solid state. A fully restored 909 would work fine with either Tannoys or JBLs.

Difference between the Tannoys and JBLs is really one of personal preference. They are not exactly alike but either will suit your needs. The big ones make most other speakers - even big 3 way floorstanders like what I'm using right now - sound like toys. I'd try and get a listen to examples of both if you can but neither will disappoint.

The trouble with trying to get some big JBL second hand is that people tend to get them and never sell them. They do come up occasionally so worth looking out but I wouldn't rely on it. £3k for some 4367 is optimistic I think. Sorry dude.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

As Martin says big JBL’s are hard to come by. Try and hear a pair of Tannoy Ardens, I think they might suit you, you can always come hear mine, but its bit of a hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Good amps are good amps and bad amps are bad amps, doesn't matter if it is valve or solid state. A fully restored 909 would work fine with either Tannoys or JBLs.

Difference between the Tannoys and JBLs is really one of personal preference. They are not exactly alike but either will suit your needs. The big ones make most other speakers - even big 3 way floorstanders like what I'm using right now - sound like toys. I'd try and get a listen to examples of both if you can but neither will disappoint.

The trouble with trying to get some big JBL second hand is that people tend to get them and never sell them. They do come up occasionally so worth looking out but I wouldn't rely on it. £3k for some 4367 is optimistic I think. Sorry dude.
    Points taken, I will try and go find some of each to listen to while I am hustling the pennies. Alright then, I think I am set. You are all generous people and have helped me out in a time of need. Any of you come across a deal of any of the bits discussed drop me a line.

Im buzzing to be blown away. Maybe when Ive got what we've discussed and played it for a few years Ill be itching to upgrade and will come knocking again. Once this is all set up - you're all welcome to come and have a dance up in Scotland in my barn! Will post photos here when its going.

Cheers lads

I'm Martin.

I was looking for some big JBL years with no joy, that's why I ended up going for Tannoy Ardens. (If they ever get finished). They do the same sort of job just in a slightly different way.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tornpower View Post
    . Once this is all set up - you're all welcome to come and have a dance up in Scotland in my barn! Will post photos here when its going.
    )
    lol You do realise we've got about half of Scotland on this site? Make sure you get plenty of Buckie in!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Arthur.

lol You do realise we've got about half of Scotland on this site? Make sure you get plenty of Buckie in!
    Lol the weegie Neds'll hopefully hear my system from Glasgow and come packing Buckie and Tenants... So neigh both'r

I'm Arthur.

I was looking for some big JBL years with no joy, that's why I ended up going for Tannoy Ardens. (If they ever get finished). They do the same sort of job just in a slightly different way.
    Are you saying that you bought new Tannoy Ardens and they are still being made!? Is that what seems to be called legacy? Is legacy legit?
    Are these no good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Ar...cAAOSwkZpdYQ4c ?

Also what do you make of these: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...d-help-(/page5 ?

If it I buy vintage and they need refurb what kind of cost am I looking at?

Cheers Macca!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast