+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm just a primary school teacher and I need help :(

I'm Adrian.

The Ardens look as if they have been refurbished and driver sorted by lockwoods. You need to go and hear them and check them out, I believe around £2k-£2.5 is about right for a good pair.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Edward.

Arthur, the Legacy series is a newly released Tannoy series (from about 3 years ago) based on the speakers from about the the 1960s / 1970s.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tornpower View Post
    Are you saying that you bought new Tannoy Ardens and they are still being made!? Is that what seems to be called legacy? Is legacy legit?
    !
    I bought the drivers and crossovers and am getting the cabinets made. Cheapest way to do it. I'm not an expert on Tannoys by any means but there are some members who are so maybe they'll chip in.

I think the Legacy Arden - which confusingly is the modern version despite the name, uses the same driver as the DMT15. I think the older Ardens have a different driver and slightly different cabinet design. But don't quote me on any of that. I suspect the differences are not enormous anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Syed.

Hi Arthur,
    Stumbled across this on YouTube.......

DBC (Ranking Miss P at the controls) were using Garrard 301's back in the early 80's. I know Jah Shaka still uses a Garrard 4HF when he plays out.

Check the pic on the video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LsJFEyDvtY

I'm Arthur.

Cheers again Macca.

Sid thats cool. She did the station with Lepke and for a while they had the transmitter in my mums attic. Does the TT make a big difference? as in would this Garrard 4HF - which looks great - play better sound than the 1210s or a SL-1200GR?

Thanks!

I'm Arthur.

Thank you Adrian and Ian for the info. Im going to take it slow and wait till I am really sure and definitely want to track down a listening experience first. Might keeping posting finds on here for advice. Hope the thread doesn't run cold!

Appreciate everyones thinking on my behalf. I feel like a little fish swimming in shark tank but the sharks are friendly

I'm Graham.

The original Arden used the HPD385A which used an alnico magnet.
    The arden 2 used the 3828 driver.
    Another good tannoy vintage driver for your type of music is the professional SRM series.
    This is a good source of info.
    https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy15.htm
    https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy40.htm
    https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy29.htm

https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy122.htm

I'm Andrew.

Every time I see the title ‘ I’m only a primary school teacher etc. ‘ I think, there is self effacing and there is putting yourself down. I understand that the implication is ‘ therefor I’m not an electronics expert’ but I still think you should be more confident and proud of what you do. It’s a difficult job, that many of us would struggle with, dealing with our future.

I'm Andrew.

PS It is also looks like the beginning of a limerick. Something like this........ I’m only a primary school teacher, who’s sound system is short of a speaker, the dub is lob sided, its sound is derided , crikey, pass me that reefer!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by tornpower View Post
    Are you saying that you bought new Tannoy Ardens and they are still being made!? Is that what seems to be called legacy? Is legacy legit?
    Are these no good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Ar...cAAOSwkZpdYQ4c ?

Also what do you make of these: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...d-help-(/page5 ?

If it I buy vintage and they need refurb what kind of cost am I looking at?

Cheers Macca!
    Arthur,

I just discovered something. A friend popped in for lunch today on his way to Cornwall, and he wanted to ave a look and listed to my speakers so I took the covers off, and for the first time I removed the bottom covers over the ports only to find they still had the damping foams in. Having found that out I have to say even with them in that they were already producing reasonable amounts of bass.

So with foams removed and just for you I have popped on Third World ‎– Journey To Addis, "One Cold Vibe{Couldn't Stop Dis Ya Boogie)" and "Cold Sweat", UB40 - Present Arms In Dub, "I Don't Walk On the Grass" 12" 45rpm single, and I have to say they are producing some serious amounts of bass, completely in control and sounding great, band in the room moment, you really feel it!

So in my estimation for what it is worth I think you are pretty unlikely to be disappointed with a pair of Arden's.

PS Take a sack trolley along with you if you go to buy a pair.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast