+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I'm just a primary school teacher and I need help :(

I'm Patrick.

I do believe that you have probably spent around 10K of the poor guy's 4K budget!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I do believe that you have probably spent around 10K of the poor guy's 4K budget!
    Of course. It's the hi-fi forum version of 'Look what you could have won.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Syed.

When the DMT15's were made they used the same driver (3833) as the Westminster which was their top speaker.

s

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    PS It is also looks like the beginning of a limerick. Something like this........ I’m only a primary school teacher, who’s sound system is short of a speaker, the dub is lob sided, its sound is derided , crikey, pass me that reefer!
    This is classic Rmutt. Although as it happens, I'm short of everything at the moment! Also I am increadibly proud of the job I am doing - just conscious of my ignorance when it comes to how to play music best. Appreciate the kind words though

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Arthur,

I just discovered something. A friend popped in for lunch today on his way to Cornwall, and he wanted to ave a look and listed to my speakers so I took the covers off, and for the first time I removed the bottom covers over the ports only to find they still had the damping foams in. Having found that out I have to say even with them in that they were already producing reasonable amounts of bass.

So with foams removed and just for you I have popped on Third World ‎– Journey To Addis, "One Cold Vibe{Couldn't Stop Dis Ya Boogie)" and "Cold Sweat", UB40 - Present Arms In Dub, "I Don't Walk On the Grass" 12" 45rpm single, and I have to say they are producing some serious amounts of bass, completely in control and sounding great, band in the room moment, you really feel it!

So in my estimation for what it is worth I think you are pretty unlikely to be disappointed with a pair of Arden's.

PS Take a sack trolley along with you if you go to buy a pair.
    Amazing Adrian - your getting me pumped to hear them. To be honest as soon as a good looking pair of either the DMTs or Ardens come up and jumping for them. Is Ebay the best place to keep a look out or are there better people/places?

Cheers

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    The original Arden used the HPD385A which used an alnico magnet.
    The arden 2 used the 3828 driver.
    Another good tannoy vintage driver for your type of music is the professional SRM series.
    This is a good source of info.
    https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy15.htm
    https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy40.htm
    https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy29.htm

https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy122.htm
    Hi graham, thanks for this info. Its a little technical for me to digest. In your opinion and given that I want to listen to reggae which Tannoy would be the absolute best buy for me?

Thanks

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Of course. It's the hi-fi forum version of 'Look what you could have won.'
    Im very happy to be inspired to save to be honest. Certainly I am going to be over my original estimate. But I am also enjoying setting my sights higher for the next project. After all this effort and dreaming I am enjoying salivating over things I may never own.

I'm Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by shahsy View Post
    When the DMT15's were made they used the same driver (3833) as the Westminster which was their top speaker.

s
    Thanks for this Sid. Still just waiting on a decent pair to turn up....

I'm Arthur.

Thumbs up

As ever I am very grateful for all of your help. It looks like I am sorting the amp out at the moment. Which just leaves the deck and speakers.

In the mean time I had a couple of questions:

1. This amp will ideally go with Tannoy Ardens or DMT15 IIs. As mentioned I am trying to source a reasonably priced pair of either (if anyone ever hears of ones please let me know). Before this amp was proposed by the community here the consensus was on me getting hold of a Krell KSA100 poweramp. As mentioned before I intend to also build a big sound system for a barn so I can really blast my dub and have a dance. My question is two fold...

1. Can I use the Tannoys along with other speakers and rig them all together to make a monster system or are the Tannoys simply audiophile things and wouldnt work in a barn? Are the big JBLs proposed by Macca (like 10k ones) gonna be better than any big PA system I can string together... I guess my question is for a big barn what is the ultimate dream rig? Do Sound Systems in the Jamaican sense of the word have to built with a single vision in mind?

2. Will I at that point need the Krell or would the Sansui still do the job?

Really friendly steer from Lawrence revealed a cheap deal on some JBLs just down the road from me. I picked these three up for £204. The big speaker has a broken cone. Assuming they work - have no idea - can I just keep buying big speakers like this and daisy chain them together for a big 'Sound System' or does it not work like this, and would I do better simply to save 10k....

Cheers,

Arthur

IMG_0785.jpgIMG_0784.jpgScreen Shot 2019-09-28 at 21.11.33.jpg

I'm Adrian.

Hi Arthur,

I think you need to have a read about resistance and ohms, I cannot at the moment remember it myself, but I think if you put two 4 ohm speakers in the resulting load is 8ohms, if you put then in series see https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calcula...s-in-parallel/

So if the Krell can handle up to 16 ohms then you can arrange your speakers up to this load, beyond that and you will overload the amp. I am not sure if there are other issues?

I am sure others can advise.

At the end of the day, if an amp can drive the speakers and if it is good and does not distort when under its specified load then it should sound good.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast