+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I'm just a primary school teacher and I need help :(

I'm Syed.

Sound systems would wire in series and the amps would generally double the wattage.

So for a well designed amp rated at 100w amp at 8 ohm's output connected to a pair of 8 ohm speakers connected in series to another pair would halve the impedance down to 4 ohm's and throw out 200w.

Wired in series these four 8 ohm speakers would present a load of 16 ohm's to the amp so it would throw out 50w.

A Krell KSA-80 would throw out 80w in to an 8 ohm load, 160w in to a 4 ohm load, 320w in to a 2 ohm load and if you are really insane 640w in to a 1 ohm load!

It does however weigh about 45kg and the Extinction Rebellion crew would be chasing you if you ran it below 4 ohm's. It could all be done with Class AB amps that weigh a lot less.

I think that made sense......
    Last edited by shahsy; 08-10-2019 at 23:48.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by shahsy View Post
    Sound systems would wire in series and the amps would generally double the wattage.

So for a well designed amp rated at 100w amp at 8 ohm's output connected to a pair of 8 ohm speakers connected in series to another pair would halve the impedance down to 4 ohm's and throw out 200w.

Wired in series these four 8 ohm speakers would present a load of 16 ohm's to the amp so it would throw out 50w.

I think that made sense......
    Er... No
    Speakers in series the impedance adds, speakers in parallel impedance halves
    Solid State voltage amplifiers exhibit difference of power delivery vs valve , and you are forgetting current as an essential part of the wattage equation

I'm Syed.

Spot on Chris, I have them the wrong way around. You are correct!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789