+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primary school teacher dreaming of something beautiful

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    I am not so sure it can be recommended if the depressing input sensitivity is properly examined, as it will require a power amplifier to drive it.
    The manufacturer is even disguising this by quoting 150mv for 1watt output rather than quoting the full output.

Better to have efficiency by using a sensitive power amp with capability of 1.5v or less for full output, and use passive attenuation including
    in that choice LDR types to preserve the music signal from distortion present in preamplifiers.
    Surprised that you recommend an LDR preamp lol

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've met a few reggae guys with valve gear, I think they rather like the "overhang"

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Hey, I listen to my fair share of HipHop and Reggae. Overhang just ain't gonna give you the bass required. Grip and heft with bass rattling your nuts is what it's all about.

All my opinion of course.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Surprised that you recommend an LDR preamp lol
    Simply because I have yet to hear any better.

As example a comparison 2 years ago in a local hifi shop between a $12k Mcintosh valve preamp and LDR
    McIntosh could not convey or recover the music properly it was polite but not involving at all, winner LDR -
    5 weeks ago a expensive $8k Australian preamp - the Australian preamp was plainly tonally wrong a hallmark
    of active preamps inflating certain frequencies, in this case bass at the expensive of others - hence again LDR winner.

I'm Arthur.

Hi all thanks for feedback. I will definitely hunt down the Jamaican community here. Only just moved so am a little out of my element. Would the Tubby preamp work with the below set up?

If my plan is to follow other users advice and get a Krell amp - good bass - (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRELL-KSA...R/264330672897)

and JBL vintage speakers - (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-JB...-/163764946894) - sorry bigman80 I just prefer the look of oilder speakers but appreciate your steer towards JBL - which vintage JBLs would you go for?

and Technics 1210s (everyone has been consistently clear about this) then someone recommended me getting valve phonostage (i found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Croft-ria...MAAOSwfHBcueka).

Does this sound like a good setup? Any improvements, things I will also need? Is the phonostage a preamp? If not what preamp would work best?

Sorry I do now seem to have two threads addressing the same problem thanks for helping me out in both. I got confused by the obligatory welcome post!

Thanks a bunch, hope your enjoying sunny (at least in Ipswich) Sunday

I'm Lawrence.

I started looking for JBL speakers for you last night independently of the advice on here and came across these 2 JBL subs for sale. They'd be totally immense in your barn. You'd need a crossover and a couple of bridged professional amps. I've got a Behringer crossover you could borrow long term or buy off me and a couple of crown studio amps wouldn't cost much. That would be your bottom end sorted out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183780728266

I'm Lawrence.

Also are those preamps you're looking at designed for DJs and sound systems? You might find yourself constantly getting up and fiddling with the knobs like a DJ instead of enjoying the music. If you want your mates round for a session you might like that but otherwise you might just want something simple for now and look into investing in something like that later.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hey, I listen to my fair share of HipHop and Reggae. Overhang just ain't gonna give you the bass required. Grip and heft with bass rattling your nuts is what it's all about.

All my opinion of course.
    Possibly, I think he should listen to a few systems to get a feel for the pros and cons of both types. All I know is a lot of reggae and dub fans swear by valves.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tornpower View Post
    Hi all thanks for feedback. I will definitely hunt down the Jamaican community here. Only just moved so am a little out of my element. Would the Tubby preamp work with the below set up?

If my plan is to follow other users advice and get a Krell amp - good bass - (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRELL-KSA...R/264330672897)

and JBL vintage speakers - (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-JB...-/163764946894) - sorry bigman80 I just prefer the look of oilder speakers but appreciate your steer towards JBL - which vintage JBLs would you go for?

and Technics 1210s (everyone has been consistently clear about this) then someone recommended me getting valve phonostage (i found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Croft-ria...MAAOSwfHBcueka).

Does this sound like a good setup? Any improvements, things I will also need? Is the phonostage a preamp? If not what preamp would work best?

Sorry I do now seem to have two threads addressing the same problem thanks for helping me out in both. I got confused by the obligatory welcome post!

Thanks a bunch, hope your enjoying sunny (at least in Ipswich) Sunday
    I'd personally hunt an Aragon 4004. YES, the Krell is better but not by the margin you'd think. Personally, I think the Aragon is a proper sleeper amp and if people knew, they'd be much harder to find and more expensive too. Plus this will leave you with a lot of budget to get the rest right.

I understand on the speaker front. Macca is the man for what JBLs to buy. Personally, I'd snap up those Ti5000 and get them spray painted piano gloss black. They'd look modern yet sound phenomenal.

Phonostage, the Croft, Many fan boys here, and I understand why. My own feeling is that they can be a little dark or brooding but that's just the flavour of the ones I've heard.

I don't like recommending my own stuff (BigBottle) so get a Valab LCR. No valves so no need to worry about what brand to use (Telefunkens only )

Personally, I think its a cracker for the money, even after import tax etc.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Possibly, I think he should listen to a few systems to get a feel for the pros and cons of both types. All I know is a lot of reggae and dub fans swear by valves.

I totally agree.

What we need is for Arthur to get out and about. He's welcome to come and have a listen to his 7s at mine. I have Valves and SS. We can try it all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast