+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary school teacher dreaming of something beautiful

I'm Arthur.

Smile Primary school teacher dreaming of something beautiful

Hi illustrious forum users,

I have been listening to reggae since I was thirteen but have only just started collecting vinyl (mostly 7s from early 70s). To be honest I had no idea how expensive it was going to be - like £30 - £100 for VG+ singles!!! I have spent years criticising my serious friends for wasting their money on vinyl arguing that it was all there for free on youtube. All that changed when a friend of a friend played me the same dub tune I had played to death off the internet, but on an very expensive set up and mint vinyl.

My ears and eyes are now open.

I will be posting a full declaration of intent and a humble plea for any advice on what system will best suit my needs. Could someone please tell me where the best place to ask is on this forum? I have a budget of 3-4k and want strictly vintage (before 1995) conscious of the risks and issues associated - just a sucker for aesthetics and just like with car design IMO everything looks lame now and has done for 20 years.

Thanks for listening - I am a total ignorant noob, and aware I have now entered the adult area. This just seemed the best place to look for expert advice.

Cheers

Art

I'm Ruairi.

For that sort of money you'll get a fantastic set up. You could get a vintage valve amplifier pre/power combo like quad II. They are about £1500 for a pairing in decent condition. I'd be looking a more modern speaker like proac but if you want vintage someone else will advise. For a turntable just get a project classic.

Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

welcome to aos Arthur.. nowt wrong with vintage vinyl players.. Got one myself.. Ask in analogue section... sure folk will assist..

ps you have a name in for location,I think and not a location,...or is it??
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

I was a massive reggae fan when I was younger and the first thing I would say is that the system you need to play reggae properly is very different from the audiophile systems usually discussed on here.

In my reggae days I used to take all my advice from the sound system guys in Manchester and it was all about tops, mids and most of all bass. I had never heard words like soundstage or separation.

I used a pre-amp made by Jah Tubbys (I think they are still going) with a power amp and 18" speakers. It shook the house apart when playing 70s or 80s reggae recorded in 8 or 4 track studios in Kingston but if my brother tried playing something like Pink Floyd on it it sounded crap. Same as my old Jammys or Studio One 45s sound really insipid when played through my Audionote amp and Snell Js now.

Just something that's worth baring in mind if you are going to be playing reggae primarily, though some on here may still have some good suggestions about suitable kit.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Arthur.

Thumbs up bitte unt danke

Right, thanks very much. Will change my location shortly, cheers Struth.

I'll have a look at Quad II, Proac speakers and project classic deck.

Bit concerned by what you say Crackles. Very intrigued by the Jah Tubby's pre amp. 18 " speakers are massive right? ! I am based in Ipswich at the moment but am fairly mobile - at least on weekends! Any idea what you would be looking for to get that reggae sound with a budget of 3-4k in terms of speakers and power amp?

here are a few examples of the kind of thing i'm buying:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcOhXyTbCAQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uei8OAosNw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQfK..._68PiX&index=4

I think I am going to post my query on the 'past masters' section unless I hear different, or should it all come under analogue?

Really appreciate the help out !!

I'm Arthur.

wrong emoticon... not meaning to stick my tongue out obv. thanks again

I'm John.

The stuff you are listening to definitely won't appreciate sophisticated audiophile equipment, you just want a good clear top end and a powerful bottom end that can do the lowest frequencies and reproduce that rub a dub sound as it was intended. Those record you have linked were made to be played on Jamaican sound systems so you want to look at it from that angle.

The main problem with that is neighbours of course. The 18" drivers I had were in sound system boxes like wardrobes, but that was when I was young and selfish about disturbing people. Wouldn't even think of it now.

I can't be very helpful with suggestions for gear I'm afraid, as I'm out of touch with it, except that I would probably go for a pre/power amp combo. The preamp I had allowed me to drive the top, mid and bass through separate power amps so you could add extra weight to the bottom end.

It had a parametric equalizer that let you sweep the bass frequencies to find the sweet spot on whatever tune you were playing. It also had toggle switches for bas mid and treble so that you could silence each section. That allowed you to completely kill the bass then drop it in at the end of the intro, sound system style. Brilliant!

There's a Jamaican community in Ipswich, have you tried speaking to any soundmen there?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Pretty sure I replied to this thread and now it's not here?

1) Avoid valve amplifiers. They won't give you a tight enough bass and you'll have overhang everywhere

One to look out for is an Aragon 4004. Bass for days and crystal clear. It would be perfect for reggae.

2) There's some JBL Ti5000 for sale on either pfm or WW. They should be all you'll require for the house.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303275172827

3) Yup, vintage TTs are all good and fine but If my main music was reggae, I'd get a Techie 1210. They were designed to do well in high volume locations and nullify resonance which you'll get from the bass.

4) Preamp, lots to choose from in the used marker, just avoid anything with an alps blue in.

I'm Lawrence.

I've met a few reggae guys with valve gear, I think they rather like the "overhang"

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Pretty sure I replied to this thread and now it's not here?

1) Avoid valve amplifiers. They won't give you a tight enough bass and you'll have overhang everywhere

One to look out for is an Aragon 4004.lue
    I am not so sure it can be recommended if the depressing input sensitivity is properly examined, as it will require a power amplifier to drive it.
    The manufacturer is even disguising this by quoting 150mv for 1watt output rather than quoting the full output.

Better to have efficiency by using a sensitive power amp with capability of 1.5v or less for full output, and use passive attenuation including
    in that choice LDR types to preserve the music signal from distortion present in preamplifiers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast