+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belcanto Ref1000 monoblocks Coherent Upgraded

I'm Tony.

Default Belcanto Ref1000 monoblocks Coherent Upgraded

Just arrived a pair of lovely condition Belcanto Mk I's REf1000 mono-blocks, In excellent condition, all original boxes and paperwork.
    One owner from new, smoke and pet free environment. We upgraded these units from new providing a very decent lift in performance, taken in preference over the MK II versions. New cost £5250 with upgrades.

Asking £1695 for the pair.

Product Information

Review One

Review Two

Customer Feedback

Contact information

Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Phil.

Had some of these beautiful amps once , they were way better than the original unmodded ones . highly recommended
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Tony.

Now £1575
    Coherent Systems

I'm Tony.

Price reduction £1495
    Coherent Systems

I'm Tony.

These are surprising good amplifiers for £1500 ono bit of bargain!
    Coherent Systems

I'm Tony.

Having expanded my laboratory quite a bit this year, my storage space is a touch limited to what it used to be!

Will accept offers around the £1350 mark for those great amps.
    Coherent Systems

I'm Lawrence.

Can you expand on the upgrades that have been done please? Am I right in thinking that the main improvement in the MK2 was the addition of an input buffer to increase input impedance and widen the choice of suitable pre amps (eg passives)?

I'm Tony.

The MK II upgrade was just another smaller power supply rail circuit board. Imho the MK II was different not better.

Everyone who listened to the Mk II variant at the time of release opted for the Coherent upgrades (we had 23 customers who went down this route over the years) also happy to compare one against the other.

We upgrade the input stage, both ends from the back panel board to the main inlet on the ice-power module itself, change the main capacitors, update the switching portion of the psu. Change out the iec, binding posts, fit EMI (correct frequency) reducing material. Replace around 30 components on each unit.

It makes for a quality upgrade and take away the matter of factness of the original amplifier it also generates better sound stage depth, lower noise floor and improved tonal layering.

Some feedback about this upgrade for you Lawrence

"Ralf Klinkhammer - Coherent upgrade service

Since Bel Canto Design isn't yet so well known here in Germany, I contacted Tony for a modification of my Bel Canto ref 1000.
    Another reason was the Bel Canto Pre, modified by Coherent Systems, I purchased there to substitute my stock BC pre. I was quite impressed how much better my system sounds by putting that pre in the middle of my chain.
    I knew that Coherent Systems did modify both the power supply and the pre amplifier section, adding components to the power supply and chancing capacitors on the board.
    That was something I was looking for to update my power amps. Undoubtedly things like chancing binding posts, implementing better cables or using damping cloths will improve a component's performance, and this was all done very well with my monos, but together with that modification was done on and even on the backside of the board. Its my opinion that only a skillful technician, experienced with digital technique and in particular knowing how the ICE power modules inside the BC monos work, can achieve a modification with such a stunning result.
    I'm very happy with the way the Bel Cantos sound. It is like something new. It may sound like a stereotype often heard, but now there's a desire to listen to one CD after another, discovering well known songs like new. It is not an improvement in one aspect or another, the power amps play on a different level, keeping their warm and involving sound, but doing everything better . They sound more open now, with much better bass control and quieter background, and most important, more musical
    All through the time of modification Tony supplied me with information, both with text and pictures. Thank you very much, Tony

Best wishes

Ralf Klinkhammer, Germany"
    Coherent Systems

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks for that Tony, I have an amplifier with the stock 1000ASP boards in so I was wondering what benefits the upgraded bl version would give. Sounds like they are considerable.

I'm Tony.

Over the years I have upgrade these boards in Rotel, CJ and others all responded positively to the work
    Coherent Systems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast