+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RegaP10 released

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Astonished. Who on earth would pay that for this?
    If the "sound per pound" is right, I would?

And I did.

Just seen this thread and thought I'd pop up with some comments.

Context:
    We all know our HiFi enjoyment is a journey not an end destination, least maybe keeping it healthy it should be?

Recently I sold my "Grail deck", a Michell Gorbe with SME V fitted with a Dynavector XX2 Mk2 as I wasn't enjoying vinyl like I used to.
    The deck had a lot of value tied up in it and wasn't being appreciated.

Reading the Hifi press as I do, I got curious when I read about Rega's new flagship decks, with the trickled down Niaad engineering?
    I'd followed the design of it, and was very impressed...but at 30K, what?!!

My local Dealer stocked Rega and when I read they had released the new flagship Planar 10 deck, I wanted to hear it.
    I'd organised a Demo of both the new P10 and the P8, more out of curiosity than anything else.
    I wasn't wasting the dealers time as I'd be buying my digital upgrades from them anyway.

One last blast I thought before I put the Turntable sale funds into upgrading my digital again.
    ...or so I thought.

Both decks sounded more musical and involving and , crucially, had more of the "X" factor than my Michell/SME/Dynavector deck I'd just sold. Wow.
    Decided on the spot I was investing in one of the new Rega decks.
    A major surprise and not a direction I saw myself going in..
    I could afford either, but don't like spending unless there's good return
    So I wanted diminishing return type improvement with the P10 over the P8, buy the P8 and save money.
    The 10 was after all nearly twice the price with the fitted Apheta 3 cart.

Sadly...no.
    The P8 was wonderful sounding, and better than my previous deck - but the P10 was in a different league.
    WAY better than the P8 and worth the extra money, even at nearly twice the price.

In absolute terms, even the P8 sounded better than my previous deck, and that deck was certainly no slouch. (SME V, hello?)
    The Planar 10 however was just in a different category.
    Its really is that good.

Gorgeous looking thing too, which is nice.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-11-2019 at 15:59.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

i like the looks. not the price tho, but if its sounding super and got the looks to match its gotta be worth it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if its sounding super and got the looks to match its gotta be worth it.
    Exactly Grant
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

And I did.

Just seen this thread and thought I'd pop up some comments.

Context:
    I recently sold my Michell Gorbe with SME V fitted with a Dynavector XX2 Mk2 as I wasn't enjoying vinyl like I used to.

Reading the Hifi press as I do, I got curious when I read about Rega's new flagship decks, with the trickled down Niaad engineering?

My local Dealer stocked Rega and when I read they had released the new flagship Planar 10 deck, I wanted to hear it.
    I'd organised a Demo of both the new P10 and the P8, more out of curiosity than anything else.
    I wasn't wasting the dealers time as I'd be buying my digital upgrades from them anyway.

One last blast I thought before I put the Turntable sale funds into upgrading my digital again.
    ...or so I thought.

Both decks sounded more musical and involving and , crucially, had more of the "X" factor thank my Michell/SME/Dynavector deck I'd just sold. Wow.
    So I wanted diminishing return type improvement with the P10 over the P8, buy the P8 and save money.

Sadly...no.
    The P8 was wonderful sounding, and better than my previous deck - but the P10 was in a different league.
    WAY better than the P8 and worth the extra money, even at nearly twice the price.

In absolute terms, even the P8 sounded better than my previous deck, and that deck was certainly no slouch. (SME V, hello?)
    Its really is that good.

Glad its doin it for you - enjoy the music
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Glad its doin it for you - enjoy the music
    Indeed. Not an Orbe/SME V fan here either, so not entirely surprised you got something you like better.

Having gone down precisely the opposite route (idler deck, 40kg plinth, high mass arms low compliance cartridges) the lightweight route holds no appeal for me but no doubt it has some logical principles applied. At ever with hifi there's more than one way to skin a cat and a back to back might well be instructive.

On the point about the reviews, I'm really not sure the hifi press are ever going to be critical of a Rega deck given they are one of the biggest UK brands (and UK hifi advertising spenders).

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Indeed. Not an Orbe/SME V fan here either, so not entirely surprised you got something you like better.

Having gone down precisely the opposite route (idler deck, 40kg plinth, high mass arms low compliance cartridges) the lightweight route holds no appeal for me but no doubt it has some logical principles applied. At ever with hifi there's more than one way to skin a cat and a back to back might well be instructive.

On the point about the reviews, I'm really not sure the hifi press are ever going to be critical of a Rega deck given they are one of the biggest UK brands (and UK hifi advertising spenders).
    Rega have never run an advert in any magazine, so they can't be accused of buying a review.

I'm Gary.

Interesting comment on the reviews Tom, just so I understand, are you saying Rega are one of the UK Hifi advertising spenders?

Thanks.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

And I did.

Just seen this thread and thought I'd pop up some comments.

Context:
    I recently sold my Michell Gorbe with SME V fitted with a Dynavector XX2 Mk2 as I wasn't enjoying vinyl like I used to.

...or so I thought.

Both decks sounded more musical and involving and , crucially, had more of the "X" factor thank my Michell/SME/Dynavector deck I'd just sold. Wow.

Sadly...no.

Its really is that good.

Wot he said

I took Gary in to Glasgow to pick this deck up and was there when he assembled it in his listening room . Fantastic looking , and sounding , deck . I was well impressed
    Last edited by brian2957; 08-11-2019 at 16:04.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Rega have never run an advert in any magazine, so they can't be accused of buying a review.
    Oops - that was an assumption, shows how often I buy a hifi magazine!

I'm Gary.

Tom,

that...was a big assumption to make mate, and you stated it as fact.
    *slaps you on the wrist*

Your spot on though when you say there's more than one way to skin a cat, I've heard "industrial strength" heavy plinth idler decks and they sound great.
    Best one I've heard my mate Ali Tait owns, a 401 in a twin slate plinth...its awesome.

Anyways..
    Speaking to your point and to Dave's correction and clarification:

Paul Darwin of Rega Research frequents on Pinkfish media, and this very subject came up there.
    Paul replied:
    "Just for clarification purposes, Rega have never, in our 43 year history, paid for a single advertisement in any media publication, on line web site, blog or anywhere else for that matter.

I think that may well disappoint some people who would prefer the conspiracy theories and hopefully proves that What Hi Fi reviewers are completely independent and free to write as they find and not at all influenced by their advertising department or the spend from audio companies, which is indeed as we would all hope and expect.

Yes, personally, it may be disappointing that What HiFi do not like our loudspeakers, per se, but that's life.

Best,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research.
    "

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...h-rega.205761/

Seems fair enough...and maybe this puts that one to bed?
    The reviews may be...actually genuine?

And having personally spent an enjoyable couple of hours being blown away by the new Planar 10, I felt it was worth spending the money on.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-11-2019 at 15:27.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast