+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Era on how we listen to music....lost a little bit and overwhelmed

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdspin View Post
    I was a little bit at the crossroad in my music listening methods. I realized that I was spending less time listening to my music.

I have a little bit of everything, a good cd collection, couple of vinyl, music on my IPod classic, a sound card and music on my hard drive. Most of my time I was listening to Soundcloud mainly to discover some new artists on the electronic scene.
    I end up, not buying anything from those artists, not even a song because I was not happy with the sound of my system ( dematerialized music )
    Having a native instrument external sound card and a old pc I knew I could do better.
    I'm a guy of passion, I wanted to keep time for playing music as well as some time to listen to music.

Time is running fast. I know that I like things, when they are well done and think.
    So, for now, I'm happy, when I listen to my music on my cd player.
    I feel grounded, I can relax listening to my music and even read the cd infos on the artists. The sound quality is great, I find myself listening to music and enjoying it !!!!
    My turntable was a project, but I realized I lost interest in doing so, even if I grew up listening hours of music on a turntable, it wasn't talking to me anymore. Having this beautiful Lenco L75 sitting there, not in is optimal condition was a bit frustrating. I think that the last time I've listen to a vinyl was over a year ago, so it's time to do something. I know now that the vinyl isn't going to be in my plan.

Here's are my goals and what I would like to be able to do:

Finish ripping my cd collection in FLAC. I use DBpowerAmp and SongKOng. With good metadata infos

Store my music, so me and the family members can have access to it, even outside the house.

Find the right equipment to stream the music so that I'm happy with the sound quality. ( streamer and DAC ) Clean USB signal
    This mean that a have the optimal conditions, that respect my budget and that it is in phase with my system. fluid and easy to operate. ( Sansui AU-999 modified and recap, Tu-999 recap, CD MHZS CD33E modified, Yamaha sub HS8 and Yamaha NS-690 that need to be recap ).

Being able to listen to Soundcloud and radio on the net

Access to a service like Tidal or Qobuz And Spotified

Having a media player that I like for my Library and playlists ( I'M using Jriver for now and I'm happy ). Being able to use it on a Ipad and phone as a remote and ideally using the same program on portable device, outside the house. A easy setup that me and my girlfriend can use at work as if with was at home.

A nice platform that make me re-contact with the pleasure of listening to music and learn about it.

This is where I am for now. I've started to read on subject and rip my cd last month. I'm in a brake from work that is going to last for about 3 months, so it is the perfect time to do all those changes...well that is what I thought at first. Now, like the title says ``lost a little bit and overwhelmed`` that is how I feel!!!

There is a lot of video out there, that make everything look so easy and so cool, but I think that there is a big Gap here. I have a background in the subject:
    10 years as dj on Traktor, learning the program and going on forums to learn mainly about pc rather than Traktor itself. I've been in the vintage gear to, recapping, modifying, building, reading and forum. I work to as a audio tech for installing PA in all the bar in Montreal.
    I love music and I consider myself to be a little bit over the average listener but not a pro....

That is where I think, there is a gap growing between the Audiophile and the Passionate listener, in the way that we listen to dematerialized music.
    I did read a lot and some time things seams to get clearer in my mind and some times I get more and more confused. I think that the learning curve is steep.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one felling this way, probably a lot of peoples just abandoned and went for a wifi or bluetooth small speaker with probably a Sonos and a playlist generated by algorithm on a Spotified kind of service. All those fast and convenient solution are great, I'm not bashing on those, just saying for people who wants a little bit more in term of sound quality...IT'S NOT EASY !!!!

In resume:

A good sounding and polyvalent media player, radio on the web, Souncloud, My music dematerialized, music service for more choice (Tidal, Qobuz, Spotified ),
    being able to control via a remote on phone or tablet, my music and the services accessible everywhere ideally ( on a server at home ).

My budget ideally around 1000$ but it can go to 1500$

I look up the volumio primo as a all in one solution....Dac,Server and steamer. Not sure about the volumio thing and would I be able to listen to Souncloud and my radio on the net?

I saw the sMS-200-Sotm...polyvalent and I could had a better alimentation in time....I'm a little bit confuse with that one, does this device work well, with let say Jriver Media and a large library ?? I still have to buy a dac.

Or should I go with the RPi solution with a hat.....I'm I going to find this to complicated if I'm a not computer tech...

Like you can see, I'M not sure where I'm going anymore and I would appreciate If some off you can put some lite on my path before I decide to let it all go and by myself a cute little bluetooth speaker...

Thank you
    Look at gear from Novafidelity
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Andrew.

I have been streaming music from a USB HD Library for around nine years or more. I started with a Squeezebox Touch and this was without doubt was one of the most cost effective solutions ever produced.

Because I used Logitech Media Server and was used to it this is what I have kept to . Now I run a single Raspberry Pi plus USB HD as my server nothing else just sitting quietly next to my router sending music all around the house with players in each system feeding a digital signal in to the various DAC units in each system . In most cases these are Raspberry Pi units with a digi hat , but I also used Joggler O2 players and an SBT Clone using the Raspberry Pi and a Touch screen .

I have now gravitated towards headless units and using Tablet or phoine control but I think this is because i tend to just set the player off on Random Mix , Song Mix and leave it which may well be different . Sound quality for this system in all rooms is top class and now that my server is an RPi4 the GUI , response time , smoothness and stability has now reached the same level of quality as much more expensive stand alone servers at far greater prices.

What I enjoy most about my set up is that the Server is just that a server , no DAC not additionals that I do not need. I have aready spent many years listening and buying DAC's which I like and putting them in my systems I do not want to change the sound of the systems I just want an additional digital source and this way that is exactly what I can get.

I do have Vinyl in one system with a Logic DM101 , Rega RB300 and Rega Cartridge but it has been three years since I played any vinyl so realise how the OP feels .

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think the OP is looking for a streaming solution.

In any event, a turntable hardly fits the built regarding simple user interface! The challenges of cartridge alignment, bias and tracking weights, not to mention the need to match the cartridge to the phono preamp! Then there's the problem of various sources of acoustic feedback and vibration, dust and grunge and hamfisted visitors intent on cantilever remodelling!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    How about a record deck?
    The OP already has one, if the photo is anything to go off
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdspin View Post
    Store my music, so me and the family members can have access to it, even outside the house.
    I'd be wary about doing this.
    Having open ports on computers is a vulnerability waiting to be exploited.

The guys over on the Squeezebox forum www.slimdevices.com strongly advise against leaving ports open in LMS.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Yes, much better to copy files to a micro sd card for use on the road. You can buy a 256gb card for less than £30 now! That's enough space for around 700 albums in flac format!

I'm Jean-PHilippe.

Default Well that's a good start

As you can see, I'm new to this forum and it is a warm welcome to this community.
    just want to say thanks to you all before I start.

I can see that it is a subject of actuality!!!

I would start by saying

The audiophile community needs to brainstorm around this subject...How could we ( audiophile excluding, the op guy ) democratizes and reach out to music lovers that are not willing to spend time on forum like this one and learning, md to hi level of audio and computer world. Peoples who just want to listen to good quality music. The more and more niche this passion will go, less, the new generations will be presents. Sharing is a great thing!!

I'm a little bit frustrated about all this but knowing I'm not the only one that went thru the streaming experience...it feels better.

ps; it's more difficult for me to writhe in English than it is in french....that's why my phrases, could be a little bit strange sometimes

I have read all the posts and went back on the internet to look up the different suggestions and ideas that was share on this post. It did help me, place more pieces of the puzzle but steal it's not all clear...getting there do....well I think. I will separate this topic in different sections because I think it will be more easy to progress in finding a good solution.

MY GOALS in a resume:

I wish, in next couples of months, to be able to:
    - Reconnect with my passion
    - Being super happy, on how, my music sound thru the main system. Gradually improve the others.
    - Having a* media player that I like, polyvalent and convivial in the android and PC world.
    - *Music collection on a hard Drive, direct in to a *bridge ( network audio adapter ) direct to a *DAC on the main system.
    Gradually adding a *server for the house only, following some advice...
    - Being able to listen flawlessly to different streaming services like, tidal or Qobuz and Spotify. Soundcloud, podcast and radios.
    - One day having all my music running on ROON ( next year ).

To take in consideration:
    - I can spare time in to this passion as long as it makes me happy
    - Respect my budget, I would say 1500$ for now in Ca.
    - My audio equipment is good but its not the super Hi-End kit. Still, there is place for amelioration, so part off my budget needs to go for that.
    A well balance system that can evoluate

*Media Player: I'm starting to understand more, but when you start on the net and you read; UpNP, DNLA, MKA, MPD, MIinimserver, Endpoint, Sueezbox, Volumio, JRiver, ext... you can get a bit confused. So I read more and still, there is somethings that are not clear to me.
    For those using small fan less pc like RPI with Volumio and Squeezbox or DNLA.....It's like a media player over another media player???? stupid questions but I don't understand. I Know that LInux has is specific program but why, one over another.

*I wish to have the same media player on my 5 systems and three phones. Tablets for interface.
    2 systems in the same house gradually music coming from the server with the player install....on the server??? or the NAA????
    3 other systems, cottage and work, music on HD for each plus streaming services integrated in the chosen player
    3 phones, music on ssd for each plus streaming services integrated in the chosen player app
    Really open to yours opinions on the player out there.

*I think I will go with the SOtM sMS 200 for streaming without the super ac transformer to start. This solution give me the possibility to go farther in my quest when the budget is going to be there.
    It's a solution that cost more than the RPI road but look's more simple to me. Polyvalent, robust, good company. I tough a week ago, to go with a all in one solution but now, I think that the market move to fast, so I want to have hardware simple that can be modified or upgrade to follow the evolution as possible.
    RPI road is not out of the game but....limited programmation knowledge. At the same time I'm going to be able to put my HD connect via usb direct to the sMS200 so I can take care of the server project in 6months to a year. I will see how my priority goes

*DAC WISE, for now I have a ext sound card from Native Instrument that need to be out of the equation. A will be cheap, money wise on that part for now....I shouldn't say this but budget wise for now it is going to be the DAC SChiit Modi 3. it is going to be easy to upgrade for a new one in the future and use it for one of my other systems. I will read on the different suggestions received thru the post before I make the final decision.

* Server next step project: I need to read more to understand it, so I can make better decisions. A box like the the Sonictransporter I5 from samll green computer, or make a DIY fanless micro pc as a server or just a nas or das...or a stripe old robust pc... Needs to have the specs to run Roon in the future with a 4000 to 5000 cds in Flac.

With my actual system I can hear audio drop and distortion when I listen to signal cumming for the usb signal. I do believe in a clean signal as possible without interference. I already did modification to my amp, tuner, and cd player for the electrical part, grounding, filtering, shielding. So I'm a big believer of clean protected signal. That is part of the reason why I want to take my PC out of the equation and put it farther away from my audio. Still need to keep it is the main source for my TV.
    So this is where I am....still confuse but I can see the light....I think

Again, happy to be here.

I'm Dennis.

As I read your post Phillipe, my eyes glaze over, not because of the nature of your post, but because of the state of things, which I feel is chaotic - I'm in quagmire with it all. It is a mirror to everything else that is going on ATM.

And with my technical background I should not be, but I argue that this situation is made difficult by the lack of clear statement by makers, sellers, and reviewers; there is a lack of clear coherent explanation extremely often.

I have several saved threads reviewing gear, and they omit crucial things like whether or not a particular bit of equipment has a D2A in it or not, this hardly helps the browsing person wishing to make decisions.

I feel very angry about this - all I want is to be given clear accurate information with which to evaluate, and I can do it.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    As I read your post Phillipe, my eyes glaze over, not because of the nature of your post, but because of the state of things, which I feel is chaotic - I'm in quagmire with it all. It is a mirror to everything else that is going on ATM.

And with my technical background I should not be, but I argue that this situation is made difficult by the lack of clear statement by makers, sellers, and reviewers; there is a lack of clear coherent explanation extremely often.

I have several saved threads reviewing gear, and they omit crucial things like whether or not a particular bit of equipment has a D2A in it or not, this hardly helps the browsing person wishing to make decisions.

I feel very angry about this - all I want is to be given clear accurate information with which to evaluate, and I can do it.
    Forgive me, but it seems to me that you are the architect of your own confusion and anger (?). There is plenty of clear advice and technical information online. On the hardware side, there are the various Raspberry Pi options which are very good for those with the time and inclination to do a bit of DIY. Moving up market, there are numerous off the shelf streamers and DACs, many of which get frequent mentions on this forum (e.g. The Primo, Blusound, Pecan Pi and the Pro-ject Ultra). Spending a bit more, there are options like the Cambridge CXNv2. Like any audio investment, the best solution is to listen to what is available at your budget level and then to items more expensive to see if there are improvements to be had and whether the extra layout is worthwhile. On the software side, some devices come with their own proprietary software. Others can utilise a wide range of (often free) software such as Volumio or Moode. It takes no more than half an hour to download the later packages and to run them on the necessary hardware.

The situation is the same as when one is choosing a turntable or a pair of speakers. Set a budget, compare and decide!

Personally, I am very happy with my Allo Digione running Volumio. All in, the package cost me around £150 plus another £70 for a linear power supply. I have had more expensive kit but found that I preferred the Digione with my Caiman SEG DAC. I am considering a more expensive option but will only proceed if there are worthwhile improvements over the Digione.

I'm Neal.

The new mumsnet for audiophiles
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast