+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear, I think I am morphing into Jerry!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Lovely dog
    Yup, we've met. Lovely dog, indeed. Crazy, but lovely.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly
    View Post
    Oh, and I mistakenly thought Jerry was a purist, that sought perfection, not a digital wannabe! but then he’s got Daleks for speakers
    Tannoys?
    Nope, you are most certainly not morphing into me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb
    View Post
    And he hates Tannoys if I remember right
    Absolutely right, horrid things.

But I am happy that you like them, Adrian.

Tannoys?

Nope, you are most certainly not morphing into me.

Absolutely right, horrid things.

But I am happy that you like them, Adrian.
    Well I am quite surprised and would be interested why you dislike so much, perhaps you would like to offer your opinion on Tannoy's generally?

I do know that in the past certain models of Tannoy were reported has having a honking sound, presumably at the low end and maybe box colouration due to lack of stiffness, but I could be wrong. The new Legacy line models have revised cabinets built with stiffer materials and with better bracing, and I think improved drivers. All the reviews of the Arden's I have read praise them very highly.

The Legacy Arden's that I have to my ears produce a very neutral and natural sound, so far anyway. I have been through my usual 20 listening tracks today and have not been disappointed with any. A couple I was quite surprised by are quite heavy in the bass department, St. Germain - Montego Bay Spleen, this has a thundering amount of bass and drum which can easily overtake and drown the whole soundstage but not the case with the Arden's, the other track(s) Also Spracht Zarathustra (Duetsche G. 2530 402) has huge deep bass in various sections and the Arden's just take it in their stride, all very musical and detailed.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

IIRC it is the honk in the mids that Jerry doesn't like.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    IIRC it is the honk in the mids that Jerry doesn't like.
    There is no mid 'honk'. Pepperpot compression driver Tannoys have in common with most speakers utilising horn tweeters, a certain character. It's not necessarily due to a specific resonance, but may be a colouration nonetheless. I tend to like this though.

The Legacy series drivers do not use the pepperpot compression horn, they have the ceramic magnet tulip waveguide tweeter. This probably due to cost, as the pepperpots are expensive to make.

Last edited by walpurgis; 11-09-2019 at 15:26.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There is no mid 'honk'..
    I don't think so either, it's Jerry you have to convince!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I've got 2 10 inchers lol. That's nearly 15. Not tannoys tho

Yup congrats on the speakers. The y look super condition
    I square the diameter of each driver and add them up, but first I subtract an inch off each for the surround. So that's 196 for the Tannoys and 162 for the MBLs. Not far off at about 80%.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I square the diameter of each driver and add them up, but first I subtract an inch off each for the surround
    Glad to see somebody else taking cone surrounds into account. I always allow half the surround width when working out cone areas. That may not be strictly accurate though, as the whole surround moves.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

There is no mid 'honk'. Pepperpot compression driver Tannoys have in common with most speakers utilising horn tweeters, a certain character. It's not necessarily due to a specific resonance, but may be a colouration nonetheless. I tend to like this though.

I agree, really. I don't hear a Tannoy Honk. It's more of a grainy chhh sound (as in Scottish loch) that is overlaid on everything.
    Especially noticeable on orchestral strings, but once I hear it it overlays everything. It really drives me crazy, can't stand it.

Paul @RFC, I think, understands the root causes and his crossover designs go a fair way to mitigate them. But it's still there and audible to me.

Nothing's perfect and there are plenty of speaker choices out there, including dalek clones!
    You just have to choose the set of compromises that suit you best.

I'm Grant.

Glad to see somebody else taking cone surrounds into account. I always allow half the surround width when working out cone areas. That may not be strictly accurate though, as the whole surround moves.
    i take off one surround if adding two together to make one. guess it would be more accurate to do all 3 still, 2 *10's is not far off a 15... obviously you dont get the same kick etc but the right type of smaller ones will be faster. Of course DC's have also the centre part just to change things again
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I don't hear a Tannoy Honk. It's more of a grainy chhh sound (as in Scottish loch) that is overlaid on everything.

Paul @RFC, I think, understands the root causes and his crossover designs go a fair way to mitigate them. But it's still there and audible to me.
    I know what you mean Jerry. I did describe to Paul Coupe years ago, that I thought this effect was due to reflections across the horn throat where the sides are near parallel, directly ahead of the phase plug. It seems less on the post HPD ceramic magnet models, where the horn is shorter and sides are more angled, minimising the chance of reflections.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast