+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear, I think I am morphing into Jerry!

I'm Andrew.

The current Adam Audio S5V monitors look to have potential. Five thousand and odd pounds but with six amplifiers in the pair they could be considered reasonably priced. Unfortunately beyond my budget.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Great speakers congratulations!

Hi Martin,

Can I ask about the elephant in the room, or rather the sofa? Does that stay there and does it have any impact?
    I have tried then without the elephant in the room(sofa) and the difference is minimal, maybe a little damping of the bottom end but to be honest you have to listen extremely hard to hear it. You neve know it may actually be helping as you can see I have to have them near to a side wall on the right and next to the records on the left, so any damping effect may help slightly. I also have them toed in so that the centre axis cross over just infant of me, it seems to work quite well.

Maybe next week I will take some measurements with REW and see what reflection horrors are happening, but as long as it sounds OK to me I suppose that's all that matter really.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

I'm surprised at the little difference that makes Adrian.

To put expensive actives into a current context, ATC SCM 100ASLs now cost £17k, I bought a pair for about £5.5k in '96.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I'm surprised at the little difference that makes Adrian.

To put expensive actives into a current context, ATC SCM 100ASLs now cost £17k, I bought a pair for about £5.5k in '96.
    Well it may not be obvious from the photos but the 15" drivers are not obstructed in any way by the sofa, and they have a clear line of sight to my listening position. As you can see from the picture below only about 3-4" of the cabinets are obscured each side of the sofa where the drivers are. About 1/3 of the lower half of the cabinets are obscured by it, this is where the 3 ports are and it seems to have little impact on the bass, which is substantial, controlled and can go very deep. We have a pair of new sofas coming next month and luckily it will obscure the speakers even less.

I would add that I think that our room is about as small as you would want with the Ardens, it is 24' by 13'. The walls are dot and dab plasterboard onto thermablocks, and do not seem to be too reflective from measurements I have done. I suspect the ceiling is the worst reflector, I suggested a nice suspended pretty/arty sail type arrangement hanging in the ceiling, this did not go down well with SWMBO and I was not even allowed to experiment with some sheets to take REW measurements. I have played around with some soft wall hangings on the walls and covering up the TV and placing lamp stands in my listening end corners covered in blankets, this did improve the reverb acoustics. But I was not allowed to keep any of it. I do keep my eye out for some nice modern paintings on canvas that I could hang on the walls to break it up, everything I have shown Sue so far has been firmly rejected.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm David.

"everything I have shown Sue has so far been firmly rejected":

I'm Martin.

The dog looks like he would be pretty absorbent, can you train him to stand in the right place in the room?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The dog looks like he would be pretty absorbent, can you train him to stand in the right place in the room?
    Harry usually has hid head in the middle of the room to get the best from the stereo imaging. Actually it is quite interesting because if I put music on he comes into the room, if not he tends to stay in his bed in the kitchen so I please he finds some of the sounds relaxing.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the response Adrian and I am happy to hear it works and sounds great. My interest is genuine as I'm a huge admirer of Tannoys and love to see them working in real rooms.

I recently had a pair of Stirlings in my 15x15 (roughly) room and I absolutely loved the look of them and the sound apart from the fact they excited the room at a certain lowish frequency. I could pull them away from the wall a bit more and it helped but my wife, much like yours. knocked that on the head so ultimately they had to go. I was always waiting for the "boom" and watching my wife in my peripheral vision thinking "These cost 4 grand and they keep doing this...."

I'm Dennis.

From instinct and my Tannoy experience Adrian I would be concerned about the upper part of the sofa affecting horizontal dispersion, though I don't doubt your findings. The bass being affected would not be of concern.

At one point I was seriously considering removing the ceiling plasterboard and hanging sheets in loops forming ditches between the joists, under which was BAF wadding.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    From instinct and my Tannoy experience Adrian I would be concerned about the upper part of the sofa affecting horizontal dispersion, though I don't doubt your findings. The bass being affected would not be of concern.

At one point I was seriously considering removing the ceiling plasterboard and hanging sheets in loops forming ditches between the joists, under which was BAF wadding.
    Next week I will measure them with the sofa in the room and without with a sweep wave, the microphone being at my head position and compared the results, which may or may not be interesting. I will let you know the findings.

Yes ceilings are very overlooked and are probably the worst part of a rooms acoustics unless you have modern decor with hard flooring in the lounge, vinyl or wood. I used to work in a sound and vibration lab in my early twenties and we used to acoustically take measurement of all sorts of stuff in the lab and out and about. The trick is not to deaden the rooms acoustics too much you need a subtle balance between too alive and being dead, also the speaker/system and its position will have a big impact on this. I often think this is why sometimes you hear of a system working very well for one person and then appallingly for another, possibly due the seconds one being a complete misfit in the seconds room and its furnishings etc. IMO your ears basically need to judge whether it's working for you or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast