+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium/ steel platter mats

I'm Sven.

Default Aluminium/ steel platter mats

Hi there,
    I am looking at platter mats and record weights for non suspended TT, like Garrard 301, TD124, L75.

Platter mats
    I hear the aluminium/steel/copper can give satisfying results. Those metals doesn't overdampen the TT, like rubber, cork, or leather can do. I say CAN do, because I have good results with my Herbie's Way Excellent II mat polymer mat on my Lenco L75. But I want to try a some kind of metal mat.
    Anyone experience with the Puresound Tenuto Gunmetal mat, the Custom Design Inert, or the SPEC+ AP-UD1?
    Custom Design offers two versions:
    Aluminium for suspended turntables, and stainless steel for non suspended. I guess the steel is not a good idea if you use magnetic cartridges.

Record Weights
    I can devise the record weights on the market in two groups, the heavy ones and the not so heavy ones. I have a feeling that the massive ones are not a good idea on my vintage TT, but I don't know why. Anyone any explanation? Does the weight put too much stress on the TT motor?
    Do I need a 800 gram or a 450 gram weight on my vintage TT? Many thanks for your experiences.
    Audio Note AN-E/LX, OTO Phono SE Signature, ISIS speaker cable, Linn LP12-Naim ARO-Dynavector 20x2H, Technics SP10 Mk2-Audio Creative Groovemaster-Ortofon SL15, Garrard 301-SME3012-Linn/ Supex Troika-SME3009-Hana SL Mono, Thorens TD124-Schick 12”-Denon DL103PRO, Tavish Adagio, Ayre P5xe, Phasemation T-500, Denon AU-340, Nakamichi CR4, AQVOX, A23, AN-LEXUS interlinks, Atoll DR200-DAC200 Signature

I'm steve.

Default Aluminium/ steel platter mats

Personally I’ve never liked the idea of metallic platter mats because of the likelihood of reflecting stylus vibrations back to the cartridge when the accepted wisdom is to channel it away from the cartridge and arm. A mat with a similar composition to vinyl being a good conduit hence the popularity of acrylic platters. Likewise I think a clamp is preferable to a weight as it doesn’t put extra stress on the bearing. I have a Rega P3 (2016) and I use an acrylic platter mat and a Michell clamp which both work well together, I also use a small spindle O ring to help with warped or dished records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boussven View Post
    Hi there,
    I am looking at platter mats and record weights for non suspended TT, like Garrard 301, TD124, L75.

Platter mats
    I hear the aluminium/steel/copper can give satisfying results. Those metals doesn't overdampen the TT, like rubber, cork, or leather can do. I say CAN do, because I have good results with my Herbie's Way Excellent II mat polymer mat on my Lenco L75. But I want to try a some kind of metal mat.
    Anyone experience with the Puresound Tenuto Gunmetal mat, the Custom Design Inert, or the SPEC+ AP-UD1?
    Custom Design offers two versions:
    Aluminium for suspended turntables, and stainless steel for non suspended. I guess the steel is not a good idea if you use magnetic cartridges.

Record Weights
    I can devise the record weights on the market in two groups, the heavy ones and the not so heavy ones. I have a feeling that the massive ones are not a good idea on my vintage TT, but I don't know why. Anyone any explanation? Does the weight put too much stress on the TT motor?
    Do I need a 800 gram or a 450 gram weight on my vintage TT? Many thanks for your experiences.
    I have a Tenuto. One of the best upgrades I've made to my TT (SP10)

I'm David.

I agree with Oliver, I use a Tenuto on my 401 and wouldn't be without it. Before I had it I used some damping rings on the platter, with the Tenuto in place it's no longer necessary. The extra mass also seems to help pitch stability.

David Whistance

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    I agree with Oliver, I use a Tenuto on my 401 and wouldn't be without it. Before I had it I used some damping rings on the platter, with the Tenuto in place it's no longer necessary. The extra mass also seems to help pitch stability.

David Whistance
    Yes, it offers a lot of benefit and personally I haven't heard a negative as of yet and I have had mine in for over a year.

Some people put a felt mat either on top or underneath it but that completely defies the idea.

Never scratches an LP and never has a single sign of wearing the bearing more for using one. Imo, it's as essential as a good record cleaner in terms of accessories

I'm Andrew.

You can try the SPH platter mat made by Sien over on Lenco Heaven, works like a Tenuto (which I own) but not quite as good.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm John.

I have used the Tenuto to date, on three turntable drive systems since I have owned mine.
    I feel that the selection of the material to be used, as a result of the perceived SQ from the adding of a Platter Mat, is in the end going to be a personal choice for the end user, as the material used will attenuate the sound, offering different perceptions on the influence when listening to a replay.
    I have chose the Tenuto as the go to mat on the PTP Solid 9, as the material seems to tighten up the Bass Notes and allow the Mid's and Highs to project a little more.
    I have only used it on the SP-10, so do not know of another materials influence on the perceived SQ.
    On a TD 125, it was not as good as the owners Platter Mat, when used on their system, it made sibilance more prominent, to the point of it being a detractor.
    There has been a good thread produced by Rexton on his Platter Mat material trials, this might be worth a visit, as they are carried out on Idler Drive TT's.
    I will add that the most striking effect I have heard to date on a already well set up TT's performance, is the Solid Tech 'Feet of Silence'.
    These feet have spent much more of their time under TT's in other homes than they have been in my own home.
    They are on loan again at present, when I retrieve them, it really is like a good friend is going away for a long time, sort of good bye.
    I hope to have these back for the Sheffield event, if anybody would like to trial them on the day.

I'm Sven.

Thanks all for the positive advices on the Tenuto mat on SP10, Garrard 301/401 and L75 PTP
    Anyone any experience with the Custom Design Inert mat (UK)? or the Japanese SPEC "Analog Disc Sheet"?
    Audio Note AN-E/LX, OTO Phono SE Signature, ISIS speaker cable, Linn LP12-Naim ARO-Dynavector 20x2H, Technics SP10 Mk2-Audio Creative Groovemaster-Ortofon SL15, Garrard 301-SME3012-Linn/ Supex Troika-SME3009-Hana SL Mono, Thorens TD124-Schick 12”-Denon DL103PRO, Tavish Adagio, Ayre P5xe, Phasemation T-500, Denon AU-340, Nakamichi CR4, AQVOX, A23, AN-LEXUS interlinks, Atoll DR200-DAC200 Signature

I'm paul.

Copper mat on mine, wouldn't use anything else
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Sven.

what is that story I hear often on the "stress on the bearing" of a heavy record weight on non suspended TT? Is it based on something, or just forumtalk?
    I have the feeling that on platter mats or record weights, or on the choice of headshells, there are much opinions but not very much research.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast