+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha A-S500 Upgrade

I'm Dave.

All my digital inputs are handled by my Bresford so no problems they, likewise the headphones
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

Been back and had another listen this morning and order placed for a Rega Elex - R.

Watch out for a review after another burn in
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Rob.

Hello Hypnotist,

What really interested me about this thread is your speakers!

Having owned the Zensor 3's (from new) and promptly boxed them back up again and then sending them onto Ebay after just two weeks, I have to say there's huge improvements to be made with your speakers. Upon reading the many 5 star reviews of the Zensors I had to give them a go, they were nice to look at, but holding them in my hands the build quality was definitely budget. Soundwise, they'll do well at the budget end because of the superior bass performance compared to other budget speakers, but that's about all there is to recommend them (in my opinion).

Right away at the start while listening to them I noticed something was missing compared to my old speakers (Mission 751f freedoms), a big hole where the mids should be and something was added, too much sparkle at the top end. I gave them every chance but the Missions were much better (only £50 ebay) and gave a much more balanced sound with rich mids (but lacked some bass) .

At the same time I bought on the recommendation of a very knowledgeable member of this site a pair of KEF Reference 103.2 speakers for £220 (a stunning bargain), these won by first round KO, neither the Missions or the Dalis where any competition for them. A solid well built speaker with smooth detailed treble, better/bigger defined bass than the Zensors and very nice mids ...... just simply way better.

The upgrade on your amp is a good one, but I would pay even more attention to your speakers If I was you.

Don't be frightened of used kit, you could significantly better your current setup for around £150-£300.

I'm Dave.

Hi Bob interesting your comments on the Dali Zensor 3s, did you stick with the burn in recommended at 100hr mark, by others and Dali themselves? Mine opened up and changed a fair bit after that time period, from new they were very shrill at the top end, and that changed during the 100hrs.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Rob.

Hello Dave,

No I didn't quite reach the full 100 hours burn in, but I came close at about 90 hours and come to the conclusion any further improvements (another 10% spent in time) was not going to make to make 50% difference in sound.

This is just my opinion, but I did have at one time 3 sets of speakers to interchange and the Zensors did not have the full bodied sound of the other two, but they did have little more bass than the Mission 751s at the bottom end.

You don't have too much to lose by trying used speakers especially if you buy them on here, most people on here are honest (if not all). What you buy for £100 - £300 you can generally put back onto the market at the same price if you don't like them, minus postage you paid.

I've had a pair of these and they were a very well regarded speaker, they are still good for very little money now, they would be in the £1K class by todays standards for less than £100 today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-A...AAAOSwSwVdSYS1

They are collection only but still a good example of what's out there.

The seller has sold a few HIFI items to very satisfied buyers, there wouldn't be too much risk in these, especially at the price. They may have the odd scratch or minor blemish, but for the money they'll be an obvious improvement over the Zensors build and sound quality. They're not ported and so can be placed anywhere.
    Last edited by meBob; 11-09-2019 at 17:18.

I'm Dave.

Thanks Bob only trouble is being almost on Lizard the very tip of Cornwall everywhere is a long way to get anything, if people say collection only I'm snookered really.

Rega arrived and installed, just a bit of TV audio trickling through it at the moment, till I can get to room to myself and play some music. I though the yamaha was heavy the Rega is more so.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
    Thanks Bob only trouble is being almost on Lizard the very tip of Cornwall everywhere is a long way to get anything.
    That's where I'm going this Sunday. I'm visiting family by Manaccan.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

You'll be going past my place then to get there if you use the Redruth to Helston road, I'll put the kettle on
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

6hr listening session and I'm blown away by the difference, to the point music I listen to sounds so different, another burn in session and looking forward to it opening up as the hours go on.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Much as I love Rega I think that a completely analogue integrated amp these days is a bit ridiculous, even the £1700 Elicit-R has no digital inputs and no headphone output either, it’s time they woke up to the fact that music lovers don’t only listen to vinyl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd much rather choose a dac and headphone amp of my own choice than have them determined by the maker of the amp. There were a few pricy amps coming up for sale recently and the dac specs were no longer competitive, a shame as it made the amps a less attractive proposition

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast