+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yamaha A-S500 Upgrade

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'd much rather choose a dac and headphone amp of my own choice than have them determined by the maker of the amp. There were a few pricy amps coming up for sale recently and the dac specs were no longer competitive, a shame as it made the amps a less attractive proposition

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I bet the DAC specs were still better than the amplifier specs though. It isn't the DAC that is the limiting factor.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'd much rather choose a dac and headphone amp of my own choice than have them determined by the maker of the amp. There were a few pricy amps coming up for sale recently and the dac specs were no longer competitive, a shame as it made the amps a less attractive proposition

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I think from my own experience there’s very little difference in SQ between different DACS and tbh I’m all for minimising my box and cable count, I’ve had external DACS before and think the DACS in my Cambridge CXA60 and Onkyo A9010 don’t lose anything to any of them, it’s not like the addition of a DAC in an integrated amp costs the manufacturer very much, DAC chips cost pennies these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Cousins got a Yamaha A-S501 with inbuilt DAC but uses a Bresford Stand alone DAC which does improve on the Yamahas inbuilt one
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I owned an AS500 a few years back and more recently (18 months ago) I owned its successor the AS501, I considered them to be pretty decent amps at their price point. Tbh you don’t really need to spend big bucks to improve on them, I changed from the AS501 to a Cambridge CXA60, on the day I bought it it took me no longer than 30 seconds of the first track to realise is was head and shoulders beyond the Yamaha, but at almost 3x the price it would be expected. There are plenty of very good amps around the same price point as the Cambridge, Rega Brio if you don’t need digital inputs, the Audiolab 6000A if you do, they are all excellent for the price. At a cheaper price point the Onkyo A9010 is better than the Yamahas imo, I use one in my second setup, mine is an EU spec one with a Wolfson DAC onboard (cheaper than the UK version without a DAC, bought mine from a supplier in Germany), it’s ridiculously good for a £200 amp.

Could I ask where you got the Onkyo with dac from - I can't seem to find one and I'll really need it with dac

I'm steve.

Default Yamaha A-S500 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    Could I ask where you got the Onkyo with dac from - I can't seem to find one and I'll really need it with dac
    I bought it from a German company called Sotel, unfortunately they don’t appear to be stocking it anymore.
    You could try contacting Onkyo EU and see if they can advise a supplier.

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/a-9010-122158.html

I'm Philip.

Available on amazon.de.
    If you have uk amazon, just log onto amazon.de using normal id/password.
    Will ship to uk.

The a9130 also has digital inputs but costs more.
    Maybe there will be sone deals come black friday.

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    Last edited by philv; 16-09-2019 at 15:45.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123