+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha A-S500 Upgrade

I'm Dave.

Default Yamaha A-S500 Upgrade

Looking to move up and upgrade my Yamaha A-S500 Amp.

Question is how much of a upgrade would a Rega Elex R Amp be ? I'd hate to spend that sort of money and switch on and play a piece of music I know well and think mmmhh is it a lot better or not, or would I see a big improvement?

Thanks for any input.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm steve.

Default Yamaha A-S500 Upgrade

I owned an AS500 a few years back and more recently (18 months ago) I owned its successor the AS501, I considered them to be pretty decent amps at their price point. Tbh you don’t really need to spend big bucks to improve on them, I changed from the AS501 to a Cambridge CXA60, on the day I bought it it took me no longer than 30 seconds of the first track to realise is was head and shoulders beyond the Yamaha, but at almost 3x the price it would be expected. There are plenty of very good amps around the same price point as the Cambridge, Rega Brio if you don’t need digital inputs, the Audiolab 6000A if you do, they are all excellent for the price. At a cheaper price point the Onkyo A9010 is better than the Yamahas imo, I use one in my second setup, mine is an EU spec one with a Wolfson DAC onboard (cheaper than the UK version without a DAC, bought mine from a supplier in Germany), it’s ridiculously good for a £200 amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

I did have the Audiolab 6000a on the list, but not heard one, the Rega Elec R they rated above the 6000a but its 50% more in more so relative, but several s/h at the 6000a's money

Budget is around £600-£800 new or a lot more amp s/h not to fused either way
    Last edited by Hypnotist; 08-09-2019 at 08:03.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm steve.

I have a friend who has the 6000A having previously had a Yamaha AS701, he think it’s streets ahead particularly with regards to bass power and control as well as a very spacious presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

I have heard a few of the new Yamaha amps and they all sound a bit flat, uninteresting, lack of emotion if you like. Nothing wrong, just boring.

The Rega Elex-r is in a different league.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I have heard a few of the new Yamaha amps and they all sound a bit flat, uninteresting, lack of emotion if you like. Nothing wrong, just boring.
    Totally agree, very good description.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Just been off this after auditioning Amps.

First was a Rega Brio the new model, very impressive for what it is, and what it does with its 45w a channel is very very good.

Second was the Cyrus one thats not long came out, lot more punchy at 100w per channel and the Brio in a back to back, the Brio seems a bit laid back and not so punchy, sound stage didn't seem so wide though on the Cyrus One ?

Last was the Rega Elex-R and within 30secs I was like wow, same transport, same speakers.same track George Gershwins Rhapsody In Blue. My cousin who was with me just smiled and we sat back and took in the music, totally different and as Dave mentioned "In A Different League" and thats a understatement I can assure you.

I'm just about to play George Gershwins Rhapsody In Blue here on my Yamaha, I get the feeling I'm not going to say wow the Rega Elex-R is not any better that what I already have.

Back for a full test either Tue/Weds and place the order.

Only thing that worried me is the chap at the dealers I went to says the rule of thumb or words to that is "The speakers should be 3x the value of the Amp"
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Tom.

Do you need digital inputs? If not...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264456905707

Brilliant amp, should be in budget, MUCH better than the Regas.

I'm steve.

Much as I love Rega I think that a completely analogue integrated amp these days is a bit ridiculous, even the £1700 Elicit-R has no digital inputs and no headphone output either, it’s time they woke up to the fact that music lovers don’t only listen to vinyl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

Although the sonic character of the amps will be different, it may be useful to take into account speaker load/sensitivity and power requirements to drive them properly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast