+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Integrated amp recommendations

I'm David.

Default Integrated amp recommendations

Hi, I recently picked up a nice condition Arcam FMJ A19 off eBay, which I bought based on what I imagined it might sound like from the reviews I read, but (having listened to it yesterday for a few hours), my initial impressions are that I don't think it has the sound signature that I'm after. Compared to my old NAD 3155, it sounds a little too plain/neutral, to the point that I kept edging up the volume, thinking the presentation might get a little more exciting....but the signature remains the same regardless of volume....which is probably a good sign, as long as that signature is to your liking.

I absolutely do not like bright or hard sounding equipment, but do like what I guess might be described as a rich and full sound with a strong/heavy bottom end, smooth mids and clear, though definitely not shrill/piercing highs. The NAD sort of has this signature but also a coarseness (lack of resolution) that I don't like and it also sounds a bit compressed. Don't get me wrong, the A19 is clearly very good and much more refined/controlled than the NAD, but in my setup it does sound a bit 'boring' and doesn't engage me enough.

I'm wondering whether a newer/better NAD or Rega or Marantz might suit better? As regards cost, I'm looking at an upper limit of circa £700 to £800, but would prefer to buy used so I can pick up something higher level and quite recent, but at around half the new cost. Hence me picking up the A19 for £325 instead of an SA10 at £700. Speakers are Spendor S9e's and main sources are a Rega Planar 3 (90's version) and Technics SL1200 mk5 for vinyl and streaming via a RP4 for my FLAC files and for Tidal/Spotify. Thanks.

I'm steve.

If you’re wanting a warm sound then the new Rega Brio would be the best bet and it’s in your budget.
    The Audiolab 6000A would be another one to look at, a friend of mine has one and loves it.
    I’d also recommend the amp I use, the Cambridge CXA60 but it’s probably a little to clean for your taste from what you’ve said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Can't see Arcam being a good march for Spendors, both are bit warm sounding. if you had Monitor Audio speakers - or similar - you'd probably find the Arcam perfect.

With £700 to spend I'd go second-hand and get the most bang for buck. You want to find something that used to be top of the line. I'd look at Sony, Technics or Harmon Kardon, none of them sound warm so should be better match for the speakers and get some of the interest factor back. Rega amps hold their value quite well second hand so tend to be overpriced for what they are.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

How about an Accuphase or a Luxman?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCUPHASE...gAAOSwLtBcYEvs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUXMAN-L-...YAAOSwyTtdPtdA

although the Luxman is collection only from Glasgow.

That's the sort of thing I'd be looking at anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    If you’re wanting a warm sound then the new Rega Brio would be the best bet and it’s in your budget.
    The Audiolab 6000A would be another one to look at, a friend of mine has one and loves it.
    I’d also recommend the amp I use, the Cambridge CXA60 but it’s probably a little to clean for your taste from what you’ve said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Steve, I was already thinking the Brio, (or even an Elex-R if I could find used for the right price), might be more to my liking, but had never really come across the Audiolab before...used to hear of them a lot back in the 80's. I'll look into the 6000A.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How about an Accuphase or a Luxman?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCUPHASE...gAAOSwLtBcYEvs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUXMAN-L-...YAAOSwyTtdPtdA

although the Luxman is collection only from Glasgow.

That's the sort of thing I'd be looking at anyway.
    Interesting Macca, thanks. Will research these. The good thing is, I don't think I'll have any trouble getting my money back on the Arcam, as it's in great condition and I'm sure will suit plenty of people out there.

Update - Wow that Luxman looks like a work of art to me....wonder how they sound. It would be taking me down a different (more vintage) path, but very tempting.

I'm Martin.

£700 buys you a lot of second-hand amplification these days, you should be able to get something really top notch with a bit of searching and patience. Personally I don't think that is Rega or Audiolab, but that's your decision.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ian.

Have a look for a Rogue Audio Sphinx - valve pre, solid state power, mm phono stage, tons of power and real grip on the speakers.

I'm Grant.

had an arcam(modern) and it wasnt warm.anything but.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm steve.

If you can find one the AVI Lab Series Integrated is a fabulous amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast