+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Integrated amp recommendations

I'm Graham.

Sugden A21a from early 2000s. There is a post today on Wam about the Sugden and Spendor.combo.

I'm Phil.

"When you say your A75 is somewhere between the Sugden and Lavardin, how would you describe the differences between those two? the Lavardin may be of interest. The A19 doesn't remind me at all of the A21SE, so suspect maybe the sound signature with these newer Arcam's might have changed a little."

I heard an arcam a38 combo [ integrated and power amp ] into some proacs and it was very good indeed . The thing is my horns are far more sensitive than your spendor s9 so the only way to know is to try one . as i said the a21se was very fast , very grunty , very dynamic and gripping . If i sell my pre power set up i use with my tannoy eaton its high on the list to get another a21se as it was good

The lavardin is warm and valve like , but still sweet but whether it would match the s9 i am not so sure , depends on your ears !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    "When you say your A75 is somewhere between the Sugden and Lavardin, how would you describe the differences between those two? the Lavardin may be of interest. The A19 doesn't remind me at all of the A21SE, so suspect maybe the sound signature with these newer Arcam's might have changed a little."

I heard an arcam a38 combo [ integrated and power amp ] into some proacs and it was very good indeed . The thing is my horns are far more sensitive than your spendor s9 so the only way to know is to try one . as i said the a21se was very fast , very grunty , very dynamic and gripping . If i sell my pre power set up i use with my tannoy eaton its high on the list to get another a21se as it was good

The lavardin is warm and valve like , but still sweet but whether it would match the s9 i am not so sure , depends on your ears !!
    Thanks, maybe I'll save a little and buy another A21SE......don't seem to depreciate much from the new cost though

I'm Lawrence.

Where in London are you? You could always pop round and hear my current pre/power set up. Set me back about £300 and it's pretty good.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

I have owned literally dozens of integrateds, old and new, in the £500 - £1000 price range and the only one I would unreservedly recommend is the Denon PMA-850.

A real gem, very even handed, just gets out of the way and has all the bells and whistles.

Finding one, however ......
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Where in London are you? You could always pop round and hear my current pre/power set up. Set me back about £300 and it's pretty good.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Sydenham, SE26.......where are you?

I'm Rob.

Hello Yabadaba,

As I sit here writing this to you I am listening to a Sony 770ES integrated, through a pair of KEF Reference speakers and it is a very nice listen with bags of grunt and it does finesse also, not edgy or bright. It was Sony's flagship best effort at the time and is a 21kg battleship.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TA-F...YAAOSw8Nlcp4Ny
    Last edited by meBob; 11-09-2019 at 19:55.

I'm Rob.

Idlewithnodrive,

PMA 850, rare indeed maybe 2 or 3 European ones on ebay each year.

Having said that, I've listened to the PMA 850 and my SONY 770ES side by side, the PMA 850 was better, but not by too much.

I'm gone.

A Marantz HD-AMP1 integrated has, I suspect, ended my amp box swapping.
    You can get them exdem or used for £400-450.

I'm Phil.

i rang a dealer to get a marantz dac yesterday but they had none in stock . they make some great stuff . Got the lavardin playing with the tannoys for a few days . very musical and engaging sound . will continue the evaluation but its pretty good. not quite as pulse shaking as the sugden but enjoyable none the less
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast