+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Integrated amp recommendations

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    A Marantz HD-AMP1 integrated has, I suspect, ended my amp box swapping.
    You can get them exdem or used for £400-450.
    I’m a bit surprised at you going for one of these Jerry knowing you’ve tried a very considerable number of amplifiers and DACs. I’ve just read through the write up on Audioscience Review and to say the least the results were far from sparkling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’m a bit surprised at you going for one of these Jerry knowing you’ve tried a very considerable number of amplifiers and DACs. I’ve just read through the write up on Audioscience Review and to say the least the results were far from sparkling.

Yes, that techie review was dire, wasn't it!
    Bear in mind that I don't use the DAC section, I think a lot of their criticism was aimed at that?

The 2 subjective reviews I saw were rather ecstatic, though.

Guess what? - I listen to gear but don't measure it.

I continue to think it's the best amp I have ever heard, and not by a small margin.
    End Game - ridiculous, but there it is.

I'm steve.

Bear in mind that I don't use the DAC section, I think a lot of their criticism was aimed at that?

I continue to think it's the best amp I have ever heard, and not by a small margin.
    I agree, your ears are always the final arbiter, thing is electronics that measures well tends to sound better, the only fly in the ointment tends to be valve gear which often measures badly but sounds sublime.

I'm Martin.

Jerry, of all the amps you've had previously, which of them is most similar to this Marantz?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Jerry, of all the amps you've had previously, which of them is most similar to this Marantz?
    Interesting question.
    Probably the Amptastic Mini-1.
    That'll put 90% of you off.

The Marantz is very much that but writ-large and even better.
    Similar you-are-there-ness immediacy and transparency, similar rich tonality, similar transient speed, similar soundstage/imaging 3D solidity.
    All excellent aspects of the Mini-1.
    Except all aspects are more so with the Marantz. And the Marantz has 35wpc, doubling into 4 ohms according to the spec, against the 8wpc of the Mini-1.
    The Marantz is the Mini-1 all growed up.
    ... ish.

To my ears, it makes almost all other amps sound flat and boring.

I'm Steve.

Interesting question.
    Probably the Amptastic Mini-1.
    That'll put 90% of you off.

The Marantz is very much that but writ-large and even better.
    Similar you-are-there-ness immediacy and transparency, similar rich tonality, similar transient speed, similar soundstage/imaging 3D solidity.
    All excellent aspects of the Mini-1.
    Except all aspects are more so with the Marantz. And the Marantz has 35wpc, doubling into 4 ohms according to the spec, against the 8wpc of the Mini-1.
    The Marantz is the Mini-1 all growed up.
    ... ish.

To my ears, it makes almost all other amps sound flat and boring.
    Well I'm one of the 10% not put off. Bought one after borrowing your Mini-T a couple of years ago and it does sterling work in my second system (although it will happily drive the main system too). My only criticism would be that it could do with a bit more power. If the Marantz is like this but with added welly, it's got to be something good
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm steve.

Andrew Everard certainly seemed to like it.

I'm Carlos.

How about a JVC AX 1010? Brilliant Amp + dac in one box.
    I have one in mint c9ndition that I'm thinking of selling

I'm David.

Just to update this thread, I saw a FMJ A39 for sale recently at what I considered a good price but initially ignored it, thinking it would sound similar to the A19....so more of the same that I was already dissatisfied with. But then I came across a forum thread where someone described the differences between the A19 and A39, which were along the lines of the changes I was looking for. Given that the price was good, the seller was just a few miles from me and I thought the extra power might also drive my speakers better, I pulled the trigger and collected it a few hours ago.

After I short listen just now I am, so far, very happy with what I am hearing. The same clear mids and general full-bodied character that the A19 does well, but...importantly...with a noticeably crisper (more extended) top end, though without going anywhere near bright. The bass also seems better defined too and perhaps a little more of it....not that the A19 was bad in that respect at all. Both have more bass slam that my other (cheaper) amps.

I'm still going to demo some amps over the next few weeks and if I find anything I like a lot more and decide to switch again, then one or both of my Arcam FMJ's should be easy to sell on. otherwise, the A39 might be a keeper.

I'm Phil.

Brilliant , I have yet to try the a39 but if I saw a decent one nearby I would too.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast