+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Integrated amp recommendations

I'm howard.

I recommend the leema elements integrated. It even has a built in dac I preferred to a mdac.
    It is totally neutral for my focal speakers. I have had quite a few in that price range including the a19, new and old brio, nait 5i, croft integrated. The leema is a keeper for me.

I'm David.

Another update.....I'd booked a demo at my local hi-fi dealer before getting the FMJ A39 and decided I still wanted to hear what they had to offer, despite thinking I was satisfied with the A39. So, I spent 2-3 hrs today comparing my A39 to firstly a Rega Elex-R, then an Elicit-R, a Naim Nait XS2 and finally a Linn Majik DMS.

First surprise for me was how good the Elex-R sounded. I expected it to sound brighter and more forward than the A39, but not at all, if anything the general presentation was smoother and what I particularly liked was that the lower mids/upper bass were slightly less prominent in the mix, but with the deep bass coming through more....a smoother transition through the frequencies I guess. It felt more natural and musical to me.....still a full and weighty sound (which I absolutely want), just with a more even spread. What hearing the Elex-R also did was highlight to me some hardness in the A39's presentation, with female vocals sounding better.

The chap then played me the same track (at same volume level) through an Elicit-R, which I expected to sound even better, but I didn't find this to be the case. A bolder presentation I thought but it lost some of that balance and fluidity that the Elex-R had. Not a huge amount in it and better than my A39, but didn't sound to me as 'musical' as the Elex-R. Interestingly the person doing the demo didn't let me know his thoughts until I had expressed mine and he actually said how he agreed with me, rather than trying to convince me that the more expensive amp must sound better.

The Nait XS2 was next and this actually sounded closer to the Elex-R than the Elicit-R did. In fact, I found it difficult to say which I preferred....both sounded really nice...but given it costs c.£600 more than the Elex-R it wasn't worth me exploring the differences further.

Finally, I listened to the Linn Majik DMS, initially through the same network streaming setup as for the other amps and then via it's own built in interface....the latter sounding better and allowing the Linn software to 'fine tune' the frequency response to better match the speakers (Spendor D7's i think). The Linn sounded great, it seemed to do everything to my liking and vocals sounded really great through it....smooth, exceptionally clear, but with no hard edges. But, it's quite a bit over my budget....so the Elex-R takes pole position for now. I will probably go back for another demo though and maybe ask if I can audition it at home, in my system. Would be interested to hear feedback on how others have found the Elex-R.

I'm Phil.

Thanks for update, may of course sound completely different in your own room and speakers , keep us posted
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Chris.

My Peachtree iDecco sounds pretty good-(i run headphones from the speaker outlet) Built-in dac plus iPod dock.
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/idecco/idecco.html
    Chris.

I'm Phil.

Think elex r will go on the list to try with the tannoys. Using a lavardin is ref at the moment. It's not detailed or as grunty as the a21se. However it has a delightful liquid sound that rather makes you want to keep on listening. Spent quite a bit of time with it and the owner isn't getting it back soon!

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

The Creek Destiny 2 sounds extremely good with Tannoys.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Sometimes its hard to define why something sounds good. I can recall swapping around 3 Pre-amps.
    Doing a 'on the spot' comparison, I couldn't hear much difference.
    But I found I left one running for weeks longer than the other two.
    A bit like your 'liquid sound' comment?
    Chris.

I'm Phil.

Yes I can't describe stuff as well as many folks .my main decider is if it keeps me up in the evening and I don't want to turn it off. Will keep the creek in mind

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

Yes, I find it difficult to describe this kind of thing too....okay no problem with terms like bright or dull, but I've now found myself saying stuff like musical and organic! I think I know what people mean when they use the descriptor 'liquid' though.

I've been thinking today more about the sound differences between the amps I auditioned and I wonder if, to some degree, the more powerful amps...so my FMJ A39 and the Elicit-R.... are making the music feel a little disjointed (here we go again...I mean there are frequencies that seem out of balance with the rest) because they are more powerful and therefore are controlling the woofers more, so the bass notes stop and start quicker and therefore the impact is harder hitting and more defined? So, possibly more accurate and making these frequencies more distinct from the rest of the music, but in a way I'm just not accustomed to. The amps with a little less power were maybe just not controlling the bass as well and hence it blended in more. The thing is I really enjoy music being reproduced with strong powerful bass so maybe need to re-evaluate the differences between the Elex-R and Elicit-R again....possibly the Elicit-R was just doing bass better. Both Rega amps were better than my A39 in more areas than their bottom ends though.....nicer sounding top end and less hardness / smoother vocals.

Okay sorry, that was a bit of a ramble!

@hifinut - yes, fully realise any of these amps will sound different in my system, in my room, so may see if they can loan me the Elex-R and/or Elicit-R over a weekend.

I'm Chris.

...but, 'strong and powerful bass' may not be how it's recorded? It has to be 'of a piece'.
    To some extent the amp and speakers have to match In my case, the high sensitivity (and lack of cross-over) of the speaker mean that a low watt amp suffices. It's not called 'First watt' for nothing.
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast