+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Xiang Sheng Preamp

I'm Ian.

as you know I am semi interested in one of these, any sellers PM me?

what has put me off so far was a repair report on what may have been an earlier version, PCB looks blue rather than your black. I suspect given your comments on tone controls you may have seen it but for anyone interested it is below - it has a probable circuit diagram too

http://www.g4cnh.com/public/A_Look_A...Sheng_728A.pdf

I'm gone.

Interesting. I certainly loved my old Xiang Sheng DAC-01A, they do make great value gear.
    I have to confess that the rather quirky nature of the tone controls on your pre rather appeals to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    ... I've now reached the heretical opinion that tone controls are not bad at all and wonder why did the British obsession with minimalism on the 80s become so pervasive?
    I agree. My Marantz integrated amp has tone controls as well, and I do find them useful for some recordings.
    There is a smidgeon of extra clarity to be had in bypass mode, but that can be outweighed by the ability to correct a bright or dull [often old] recording, or to add or remove a bit of bass weight.

I'm Lawrence.

Totally agree, and the smidgeon of clarity that you can hear when you do quick A/B switches are soon forgotten, and can actually sound a bit more musical anyway!

Just switched over the Sylvania ECC81s to Mullard CV4024s and I prefer the new sound.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Totally agree, and the smidgeon of clarity that you can hear when you do quick A/B switches are soon forgotten, and can actually sound a bit more musical anyway!
    Yup!
    My Marantz amp is the same - with bypass switched off the sound is a little smoother and less explicit, and that can work well with some recordings.

I'm Justin.

Just switched over the Sylvania ECC81s to Mullard CV4024s and I prefer the new sound.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I seriously like those CV Mullards. Enjoy.

I'm Lawrence.

I've listed this on the classifieds if anyone's interested. (The Mullards aren't included in the price but I could switch them over for a little bit more.)

I'm Lawrence.

Someone has been asking about this on eBay. After a lot of to'ing and fro'ing about when he can collect and the price he says he won't buy it until he's tried it for a few days at his house and he wants me to drop it off to him.

Words escape me. At least I can't post then on here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123