+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Samsung Galaxy s10+ / Dragonfly Black volume issue

I'm Andy.

Default Samsung Galaxy s10+ / Dragonfly Black volume issue

Hi,

I've recently bought a pair of 1More Quad Drives for use with my Galaxy S10+. They're a great sounding pair of earphones but I wanted more volume. I've received today a Dragonfly Black amp/DAC along with a USB-C OTG cable to connect the device to my phone, which I had thought would do the trick, yet when operating the earphones through the Dragonfly on my S10+ the volume remains the same as ever before... there's no increase in volume whatsoever between using the Dragonfly and simply having the earphones plugged directly into the phone's 3.5mm jack. I've tried it on my gf's Galaxy S9 with the same results.

Was I wrong to expect a volume increase from the Dragonfly device?

I'm Bill.

You need to use USB Audio Player Pro. This sorts out the volume issue. Also try a firmware update.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by ciderman9000000 View Post
    Hi,

I've recently bought a pair of 1More Quad Drives for use with my Galaxy S10+. They're a great sounding pair of earphones but I wanted more volume. I've received today a Dragonfly Black amp/DAC along with a USB-C OTG cable to connect the device to my phone, which I had thought would do the trick, yet when operating the earphones through the Dragonfly on my S10+ the volume remains the same as ever before... there's no increase in volume whatsoever between using the Dragonfly and simply having the earphones plugged directly into the phone's 3.5mm jack. I've tried it on my gf's Galaxy S9 with the same results.

Was I wrong to expect a volume increase from the Dragonfly device?
    DragonFly Black might not be a good match with the phones, the Red drives more difficult loads better.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

I would try uspp as well. It should let you open up the volume
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    You need to use USB Audio Player Pro. This sorts out the volume issue. Also try a firmware update.
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I would try uspp as well. It should let you open up the volume
    Thanks I've downloaded the USB Audio app. I'd put off doing so as it's £7 and I don't have any music downloaded to my phone to listen to anyway, but it seems to work fixing the volume issue across the whole device just having it installed and open in the background so that's good, I'm getting ample volume now.

I have another issue though with this weird screeching distortion that occurs every 90 seconds or so when listening to tunes and persists for around 6 seconds.

When you say to update the firmware, do you mean on the Dragonfly device or my phone? Obviously the phone is up to date but I could try to find a PC to update the Dragonfly and see if that fixes things better.

Appreciate the help.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    DragonFly Black might not be a good match with the phones, the Red drives more difficult loads better.
    The 1More Quads have a 32ohm impedance so from what I can gather (no expertise here) the Black is a decent match.

I can't afford the Red anyway.

I'm Bill.

Good to hear UAPP has worked

Update the firmware on the dragonfly. Go to the Audioquest website and you should find the details on how to do it
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Good to hear UAPP has worked

Update the firmware on the dragonfly. Go to the Audioquest website and you should find the details on how to do it
    So I woke up today and things have changed somewhat. The UAPP app is still playing fine (I have a Radiohead album on my phone to test it with), but unlike last night whereby having the app running in the background having recognised the Dragonfly device would give me a satisfying system-wide volume boost, now I can't get any sound whatsoever to play through the earphones except when playing music directly through the UAPP app.

Annoying how one moment it all works fine and then the next not, without having changed anything.

Anyway, I've got a Fiio DAC/amp coming today so I'll test the phone with that and see what works and what doesn't. This one has a physical volume knob so hopefully it will give the desired results without having to utilise the UAPP app for hardware volume control.

I'll also try to update the Dragonfly firmware when I get home and see if that changes anything.

I'm Andy.

Okay I upgraded the Dragonfly firmware from v1.6 to v1.7 and that fixed the volume issue outlined in the OP. I uninstalled USBAPP to test and sure enough the system-wide volume is suitably amplified by default now.

This hasn't addressed the screeching interference I'm getting, but at least I'm making headway. I've been listening to it today and the interference doesn't seem as impactful as I first thought yesterday... it seems to always occur within 10seconds or so from beginning to listen to music, but after that it's rather infrequent — I was hearing it a lot yesterday as I was playing around inserting and unplugging, starting and stopping etc. but in general use it's not so bad.

I've read elsewhere that the noise is probably a Galaxy S10 USB issue and that Samsung are working towards getting it fixed for better compatibility across various DAC devices, so I'll contact them and send them whatever debug reports they ask for as other seem to have done with some success.

The Fiio Q1ii I received today didn't seem worth the effort now that the Dragonfly is working better. Even USBAPP wouldn't detect the Fiio device and no sound would play either through that app or anywhere else when connected via the USB port. It did at least have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm option for amplification sans DAC mode but even so the level of amplification was less than that of the Dragonfly and sound quality using the S10's on-board DAC is noticeably inferior (though no distortion).

+ Reply to Thread