+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from littlestwoo

I'm Steve.

Default Hi from littlestwoo

Hi all, pleased to be part of the forum, stumbled across you all whilst looking for info on my vintage amp.
    I'm not someone who is on the continues upgrade path and I'm quite happy with my current setup
    My hi-fi spans 60 years from valve to streaming, I'm sure my setup can be improved upon if money and ambition where given free reign. Probably mainly thanks to the Radford, it all sounds like I always hoped hi-fi would sound.
    So here is what I'm listening through,
    Radford Sta 12 - this amp found me about 6 years ago, I can't see any reason why I'd ever move on
    Musical Fidelity 'The Preamp' 2a - needed a pre-amp, found this, it sounds fine
    Marantz CD63mk11 ki signature - couldn't afford this player in the 90's, was initially disappointed when I got hold of this but then I got my Radford, now it's everything I hoped it ever would be. I'm sure there are better more modern CDP's but I'm happy with this one.
    Castle Severn 2 floor standers in light oak - Mrs Littlestwoo demanded some decent looking speakers that didn't overpower the room (aesthetically speaking)
    And, new purchase is
    Bluesound Node 2i (the new updated version of the Node 2). Spent a long time thinking about this one. Took a long time to get my head around integrating streaming into my setup, ended up going with Tidal (CD and MQA / hi-fi subscription) and this player, which is about as much money as I could justify spending. Really pleased with it, sounds great and also provides an optical input for my TV (freeing up an amp channel).
    The future,
    Looking for a new vinyl player at some point, probably a Rega 3 or similar (maybe a project, not sure)
    Listening to -
    At the moment - Foy Vance
    Fav's - The Delines, Public Service Broadcasting, Chris Stapleton, Paul Cauthen, Yola, Willie Nelson
    Bethel Music, Forerunner Music / IHOP
    Last edited by Littlestwoo; 03-09-2019 at 21:28.

I'm Lawrence.

Welcome to the forum Steve. Nice system you've got there, and it's good to see someone who hasn't got the upgrade bug like many of us. You'll find several fellow happy Radford owners here.

I know you don't want to make any major changes but I can say from experience that the MF Pre, while quite nice at the time, has been surpassed quite convincingly since, including both valve and passive alternatives. I had one a few years ago. Some Radford owners will be able to say which work best with your amp.

If you're the sort of person who sits there analysing the sound and wants to improve it then you should give it a go. If on the other hand you just enjoy listening to the music, and an improvement in the (subjective) sound quality is low on your list of priorities, then don't worry about it and just keep on enjoying the music!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Here's my little Radford for anyone who's interested

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Littlestwoo; 03-09-2019 at 21:02.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

I know you don't want to make any major changes but I can say from experience that the MF Pre, while quite nice at the time, has been surpassed quite convincingly since, including both valve and passive alternatives. I had one a few years ago. Some Radford owners will be able to say which work best with your amp.

OK, so I said I'm not interested in upgrading, you find me out :-))) I agree that the MF is likely the weakest link, just wouldn't be sure what to replace it with (without spending a fortune). At first I simply had the CD player straight into the power amp and used it's variable output, could do the same with the Bluesound but would lose some flexibility in the system.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Steve.

It's always good to learn of someone who is happy with their system and is not really interested in any further upgrades. A nice position to be in!

There are several Radford valve enthusiasts here (I'm one of them).

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlestwoo View Post
    OK, so I said I'm not interested in upgrading, you find me out :-))) I agree that the MF is likely the weakest link, just wouldn't be sure what to replace it with (without spending a fortune). At first I simply had the CD player straight into the power amp and used it's variable output, could do the same with the Bluesound but would lose some flexibility in the system.

Ha I knew it If a member or two local to you are willing to bring a few different preamps round to try then you can have a play around with no risk. Or maybe try a loan of a small passive like a Tisbury by post, although I'm not sure if it would suit the Radford which is what I meant earlier about matching. I'd send you mine but it's not in the same place as me at the moment.

I think the Marantz CDP had a digital volume so that the bit rate declines at lower volume affecting sound quality. At normal listening levels it would probably therefore not sound as good directly into the Radford. Even if it was analogue, the quality of the attenuator stage will be low compared to a dedicated pre.

I'm Edward.

I ran a Radford with a MF "The Preamp" for ages. Whilst perhaps not the last word in transparency the pre sounded great. Still have thst pre, the last time I used it about a year ago I was impressed with what it does.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

You have an interesting selection of equipment.

There's a lot going on here, so join in the chat and get to know the members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Steve, and welcome to AoS. Nice kit you've got there. Always had a soft spot for Castle speakers and still on my "one day" list. Problem is I'm not an upgrader, I'm a hoarder, so they'll have to wait until I've cleared some of my hi-fi graveyard!

Hope you enjoy the forum, and careful you don't get the upgrade bug! (I did, but the treatment worked in the end and now I just happily listen to tunes and experiment with stuff!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast