+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Can a CD player's sound degrade?

I'm Edward.

Steve, if you have an external DAC try outputing digital from both CDPs and seeing what the relative differences are. This may point you to if the Densen's internal DAC is at fault. In any event the Denson's transport needs a service and likely to be an easy fix given that it reads most of the time anyway. Spit may be a good lubricant but I'd suggest you use something else.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Nods, Ecclesiastes

Seemed appropriate as everything is apparently bollox
    sounded Hebrew
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Nods, Ecclesiastes

Seemed appropriate as everything is apparently bollox
    Getting Old Testament on my ass then? Well allow me to retort:

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I was having a little fun of course.

"I spit on bollocks marketing drivel them. I know they are only doing their jobs but it puts me off products from the word go. "

And so much of it is.

From the wooden surrounds in Covent Garden, circa, '75;

"The bells of the temple of Buddha ring out the emptiness of all human endeavour"

I'm Grant.

if you cant see past it for what it is, then it serves you right. We have had marketing for ever. it sells some stuff to some folk that didnt want/need it, but mostly it gives you something to check out and see what it really is.
    Sure we have all been caught by it at least once. Trick is to learn. same goes for "honest" reviews.. they aint always honest and even if they are it doenst mean you will agree
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

It is the case that Densen do buy in parts for their CD players, however it would be my belief that they don't just re case stuff and pass it on, so I would expect there to be work done on the PSUs, and output stages, and in other key areas.

They would be designed to look the same as other Densen products so the case will have the Densen look.

It is simply not true that older designs are always bettered by new ones or cheaper ones. However not hearing the two in the system they are being used I can offer no comment re sound quality differences or the superiority over one or the other. It could be that the Marantz offers a better tonal match with the system, but will its soundstaging, imagery, detail retrieval be as good as the Densen, when working right? I don't know.

Worth getting it fixed, if its not too expensive. You could contact Densen and ask them who they would suggest re fixing it. Do Densen have a UK distributor currently?
    Regards Neil

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Steve, if you have an external DAC try outputing digital from both CDPs and seeing what the relative differences are. This may point you to if the Densen's internal DAC is at fault. In any event the Denson's transport needs a service and likely to be an easy fix given that it reads most of the time anyway. Spit may be a good lubricant but I'd suggest you use something else.
    The voice of reason as ever. I'm not sure how this thread turned into biblical quote and counter quote??

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    The voice of reason as ever. I'm not sure how this thread turned into biblical quote and counter quote??

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Just a bit of fun.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just a bit of fun.
    Indeed
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

It may be as simple as it needs a recap. Beyond the obvious dirty /maladjusted lasers, I've serviced a few old CD players where the caps have completely dried out leaving the industrial 78/79 series regulators getting even hotter and having a major impact on sound quality. The regs /caps are often squeezed into small spaces so the reg heat simply dries the caps. And as the caps fail the regs run even hotter, in a lovely vicious circle

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast