+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mordaunt-Short MS 600

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The complete stereo system on page 706 ('famous' Garrard Sp25, Viscount FET Mk1 amplifier and Duo type 2 speakers) for £41 translates to £569.28 today.
    Whilst obviously electronics and sound quality has come along a lot since then buying a 'complete stereo system' these days for about £600 would be considered a bargain.

I see B&W 70 Monitor speakers were about £120 then. Hybrid electrostatics. Don't see many being sold these days. A pair came up a few years ago which I thought of grabbing. Interestingly when I look now I see a 70c pair being sold in Hove "requiring restoration" but seemingly in good cosmetic condition so may well be good inside. Big footprint though and probably a 3 man lift.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Dan.

Well they offered them to me then declined my offer as they think they are worth more so he's going to stick them in a auction not really worth it after fees they might not make anything i think think £50 was fair - i could have collected buy now and be done with you win some and loose some.

Best get looking for the next pair..
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Well they offered them to me then declined my offer as they think they are worth more so he's going to stick them in a auction not really worth it after fees they might not make anything i think think £50 was fair - i could have collected buy now and be done with you win some and loose some.

Best get looking for the next pair..
    Yup, I'd think £50 was fair in unseen condition. Doubt a really good set would make much more than a ton.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

bear in mind the decca dk30 tweeters fetch £200-300 on their own.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    bear in mind the decca dk30 tweeters fetch £200-300 on their own.
    Certainly £150-200 min the rest is usually a freebie unless it's in immaculate condition. They are likely to be stripped sadly.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

I bought a pair of 700s a couple of years ago for £60, again untested
    The speakers sounded ok if nothing spectacular.
    I stripped the drivers out intending to sell the ribbons, a quick test on a simple cross over showed that the ribbons have a very high quality sound.. so they are still with me.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    I bought a pair of 700s a couple of years ago for £60, again untested
    The speakers sounded ok if nothing spectacular.
    I stripped the drivers out intending to sell the ribbons, a quick test on a simple cross over showed that the ribbons have a very high quality sound.. so they are still with me.
    I suspect the mid and bass drivers are partly the reason for this. I was wondering if a good 2 way wth a quality driver would sound better, like the ones in the Arundel. Not sure about a Fane driver though, only come across them in guitar amps really.

I'm Geoff.

The DK30 is vulnerable to excess power and can burn out the ribbon easily. Really, it is best used with as high a crossover point as possible, maybe 5kHz or above, with a minimum of second order filter slope. This makes tricky to implement in a two way system unless an extended range or full range driver is chosen to work with it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

I was always worried about that, my Arundels had a potted Romagna Reproducers crossover but I don't know the high pass filter frequency or order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123