+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Thorens Td160 Super plinth

I'm Dee.

Default New Thorens Td160 Super plinth

Have been meaning to change the plinth on my t/t for some time and happened to mention it to the other half .. she has presented me with an early Christmas pressy
    Last edited by Papa Dee; 30-08-2019 at 22:57.

I'm Dee.

System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Looks great Dee! Looking forward to seeing photos of the 160 fitted in the plinth.
    Barry

I'm Dee.

Hi Barry..just got it operational, needs some fine tuning but love the way it looks.. it’s bigger ,wider and deeper than the previous marble plinth

System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Grant.

looks great dee.. good decks these all the better for a good box
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

That looks gorgeous I
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Dee.

Thanks for all the positive comments...one thing I’ve also noticed..is the sound has changed.Its warmer...
    as detailed as before but in a more analogue fashion.Has anybody transitioned from a stone to wooden
    plinth and noticed a similar change.
    When I originally changed from the standard plinth to the marble one I also wall mounted the deck,added
    a thicker base board...renewed the springs etc so wasn’t sure what to attribute the new sound to.
    This time all I’ve changed is the plinth itself.Not using the previous isolation feet ..have it raised on the
    little white plastic spacers from the old plinth.Will experiment with different feet at a later date...Right now she’s
    rock steady...and I’ve never had any isolation or feedback issues.

I'm Tim.

Why do you use a straight tonearm headshell making your cartridge alignement adjustment impossible ? At first it was bugging me with it's "red" ness... But then, it striked me; it's the angle of the headshell that was mesmerizing. As for the "warmer" touch in sound your new plinth brought, I don't get the "warmer" qualification. Can you please elaborate some ?

Doing my tweaks one by one, on a very tight budget, I could evaluate each tweak separately. Swapping my TD160 'Super' plinth to a tailor made one made by a wood craft friend of mine out of thick solid beechwood (spare bits of an old dismantled stair case) evidently enhanced it's looks. But sonic wise I also heard "focus" improvement. Likely due to the TT extra inertia.

The fact that the whole sub chassis benefit from better isolation and dampening could also participate into that improvement. Thus allowing less "noise" pollution from the outside in and from the inside in. That's how I understood that on mine. Adding some spare chunks of marble in the destined thick multiplex base plate afterward as well. Allowing the cartridge to "work" more and more precisely.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Dee.

Good morning Tim,I read your SNIFFY comments regarding my headshell and how it’s “redness” offended you and blinded you to the angle of the cartridge that made decent alignment impossible.At first I was minded to just ignore you and your comments but have decided that to do so would merely convince you that it’s ok to deliver contributions in a disrespectful manner.If you weren’t aware that you caused offence
    ...you are now.If you would like me to elaborate on SNIFFY..look it up. Dee

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Tim,

Not a very friendly or nice attitude to adopt when commenting on someone's pride and joy! I'm sure you wouldn't like someone making such negative remarks towards the things that you own. Therefore, please be more respectful in future towards someone's equipment and their choices.

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast