+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SS amp for Quad 63

I'm Chris.

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the info and your kind offer. I think I have found an amp for my Quads but I'm always open to suggestions. I'm going to try them with a Neurochrome 686 which I've purchased to be partnered with a nice tube pre. I will also be investigating an SS pre soon enough but unfortunately a couple of issues are preventing all of this from coming together.

Not least of which is the speakers themselves developing rattles in the bass panels. The diaphragms were only re-coated a few months ago by OTA so I'm at a bit of a loss with them at the moment really . . . coupled with a house move falling through I'm not exactly having the best month or two!

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond and for the offer.

Cheers,

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm tony.

temple audio mono blocks work really well with 57s and 63s-just a case of getting the impedance settings on the amp right.

The original temple audio bantam with both sounded gorgeous....not hifi flap your trousers-just delightful.

Colin Wonfors TQ Claymore and ewa m50 both worked really well.

OTA widgets helped with SS amps- took a bit of time to settle down though.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hi Stephen,

thanks for the info and your kind offer. I think I have found an amp for my Quads but I'm always open to suggestions. I'm going to try them with a Neurochrome 686 which I've purchased to be partnered with a nice tube pre. I will also be investigating an SS pre soon enough but unfortunately a couple of issues are preventing all of this from coming together.

Not least of which is the speakers themselves developing rattles in the bass panels. The diaphragms were only re-coated a few months ago by OTA so I'm at a bit of a loss with them at the moment really . . . coupled with a house move falling through I'm not exactly having the best month or two!

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond and for the offer.

Cheers,

Chris
    It’s posts like this which give me the heebie jeebies. I haven’t had mine serviced, and when the evil day arrives I’m not sure what I’ll do. The decision is made all the more hard because I’m very pleased with the results of the ESL 63s with the KSA 50.

There’s going to be some building work done in the room with the quads next week, so they’ll have to be moved. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I'm Chris.

Having owned four pairs of 57's and now on my second pair of 63's I can tell you it is not plain sailing by any means. My previous pair of 63's held up well considering they hadn't been properly serviced in a couple of decades.

That's what I thought I'd be getting with a freshly serviced pair, another long stretch problem free, but no, they are Quads and things go wrong.

Nearly all my 57's developed issues after a time. I did just sell a pair which were freshly refurbished and perfect, but I needed the money.

Why do I do this and continue this madness you scream!? Well they DO do things no other speaker can.

I've tried Martin Logan's, Maggies etc which come close but haven't quite got what I want. Okay I haven't heard the mega £££ electrostats (probably a good thing) but quads are usually cheaper than their "competition" in the second hand market.

If they are refurbished properly they can last but they can also go bad without warning or reason.

That said my issues are only on very bass heavy tracks and at relatively high volume. 90% of the time the issues aren't audible. I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with Howard, who's right to be apprehensive but, done properly and if prepared for some back and forth until they are perfect, it is worth the effort.

I can imagine the pairing with the Krell being absolutely stonking.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    temple audio mono blocks work really well with 57s and 63s-just a case of getting the impedance settings on the amp right.

The original temple audio bantam with both sounded gorgeous....not hifi flap your trousers-just delightful.

Colin Wonfors TQ Claymore and ewa m50 both worked really well.

OTA widgets helped with SS amps- took a bit of time to settle down though.
    Hi Tony, thanks for this.

The Temple Mono's have been on my radar for a while but ultimately I have aimed for something similar (but more!) in the Neurochrome 686.

The testimonials of Temple amp users do seem very happy when paired with 57's especially though. I guess I'll be among the first to try the 686 with my 63's and its always fun to experiment.

When I sort out a proper pre-amp for the system I'll be away (hopefully!).

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456