+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SS amp for Quad 63

I'm Chris.

Default SS amp for Quad 63

As my current amplifier is in for repairs I'm considering trying out some SS options for my Quad 63's.

Usual suspects like the Quad 606/909 etc seem the way to go. However I have heard some left-field suggestions like the Nakamichi 420 and Musical Fidelity P170 can sound even better . . . I like the Musical Fidelity's "dual mono" power supply and how the first 20w are class A then class A/B after that.

However I suspect that a current dumping Quad is suggested by most for a reason, however I'm slightly put off by reported reliability issues towards the end of their production.

Certainly a few nasty rumors about the newer Quad QSP's suffering from cheap parts and having constant trips back to Quad (IAG) to deal with design failings.

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers,

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

Bigman80 Guest

I've not heard Quad 63's but recently watched a 57 owner have an absolute out of body experience when we plugged my Neurochrome 686 into them.

Divinity ensued.

Obviously, if you aren't DIY inclined you may have to see someone to put one together for you but there are a few options in the range to suit most budgets.

Worth a look.

I'm Chris.

Thanks Oliver,

I hope he had protection clamps or was listening at relatively low levels! Although I believe the scare stories of anything over 30w into the 57's are probably somewhat exaggerated.

I've made a few selectors/switches and recently soldered some 4ohm taps into an amp but this would be a leap into deep water for me. Would love to give it a go though . . .

I assume you built yours??
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Thanks Oliver,

I hope he had protection clamps or was listening at relatively low levels! Although I believe the scare stories of anything over 30w into the 57's are probably somewhat exaggerated.

I've made a few selectors/switches and recently soldered some 4ohm taps into an amp but this would be a leap into deep water for me. Would love to give it a go though . . .

I assume you built yours??
    Jesus no! We've had some insane powered power amps through those 57s and they were absolutely fine. Obviously, we didn't thrash the speakers but to say the neighbours dentures were rattling wouldn't be far off true lol.

I don't profess to know very much about the ESL type speaker but if you're worried about power, there is a Modulus 86 which is less off a powerful amplifier but from all the user accounts I've read, are as stunning as the 686

I didn't build mine, no. It came built as a one off but looking at the build, it's really simple as everything is modular and Tom gives you a full manual to help with construction.

I'm sure there's folk that could help too, I would if required and our resident fix-all Mr Firebottle could be persuaded to offer advice, I'm sure.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Jesus no! We've had some insane powered power amps through those 57s and they were absolutely fine. Obviously, we didn't thrash the speakers but to say the neighbours dentures were rattling wouldn't be far off true lol.

I don't profess to know very much about the ESL type speaker but if you're worried about power, there is a Modulus 86 which is less off a powerful amplifier but from all the user accounts I've read, are as stunning as the 686

I didn't build mine, no. It came built as a one off but looking at the build, it's really simple as everything is modular and Tom gives you a full manual to help with construction.

I'm sure there's folk that could help too, I would if required and our resident fix-all Mr Firebottle could be persuaded to offer advice, I'm sure.
    Alan's the one fixing my current amp . . . LOL.

Regarding the power with the 63's its fine. The more the merrier in fact. I also have freshly refurbished 57's so could be cool to try it with them too.

I'm always up for a little "out of body experience" too.

Cheers for the heads-up. Definately some thing to consider.

I'm Martin.

What's your budget for this Chris? Might help with the suggestions.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What's your budget for this Chris? Might help with the suggestions.
    Something around the Quad 606/909 examples. Probably up to £600, something like that. Preferably less if possible but I certainly don't mind paying for quality.

I did dabble with the idea of a pair of Class D mono's from Temple Audio which is certainly still an option. As well as offerings from Baldwin Hifi. (Quad 405 clones). Anyone have much experience with them? They are revised current dumpers and look good value as components are upgraded and brand new.

He's got some cool stuff . . . Speaker/Amp switch boxes, power supplies, active/passive pre-amps etc.

https://www.reelaudio.co.uk/Shop.shtml

I'm Steve.

Try a used XTC Pow1. It will go in to low loads and has a good smooth sound. They are not too expensive. Cheaper than Musical Fidelity which would also work well.
    I would expect Naim to be ok.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Geoff.

If it was me, I'd look for an early Quad 909, the last of the British built production. It's a good amp, will do the job perfectly and can always be re-sold later at no significant loss.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Slawts View Post
    Try a used XTC Pow1. It will go in to low loads and has a good smooth sound. They are not too expensive. Cheaper than Musical Fidelity which would also work well.
    I would expect Naim to be ok.
    Thank you Steve.

Will keep an eye out . . . kind of hen's teeth!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast