+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SS amp for Quad 63

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenach View Post
    I used a serviced Quad 606II with my 63s and was happy enough with it, but then bought a Primare 30.2 to match the Pre32. I kept both and alternated them for a while, but in the end the 606 went and the Primare stayed and is still there two years later.
    Bet that sounds awesome. It looks like a lovely amp and combo. XLR in too. Maybe a bit out of my reach at the moment but great suggestion. If I see one on the cheaper side that's good to know its a firm match.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Barry, long shot but would you happen to know the run of serial numbers where they changed to Chinese production? I'm looking at a 909 on auction site with the serial: 9090851.

I presume the 909 dictates the model so it looks to be number "851" (which seems pretty early in the production run to me but I could be wrong).

I will continue to scour the internet for the answer but thought I'd ask the Fount Master all the same.

Thanks for your help.
    Just found some replies from you in an old thread here:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...question/page2

Pretty much answers my question - looks like it should be a UK built version.

Cheers anyway.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

So . . . having not really got on with the Pro-art amps (really in the minority there) I've gone for a used (but still new-ish with warranty) QUAD Elite QSP power amplifier.

(Really good price!!)

Able to massively increase its output quite easily down to 2 ohms, it should be a really authoritative amp for the 63's.

I'm hoping, considering the topology is the same as the 909 plus revised shielding and updated components, that it will be even better than a 909. That's my logic at least.

Arrives next week. Can't wait.

I've got a couple of pre's to try with it but they are both active tube ones. I know passives seem to work best with other Quad amps but one of them has adjustable output gain and feedback, so I'm hoping I can dial it in.

Any thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm Howard.

What was the amp you had at the start of the discussion, the one that was being repaired?

I have a system with ESL 63s, and I’m using an Electrocompaniet ECI-2. It’s fine, impressive room filling sound (there are Gradients in there, which helps I suppose.) But it’s not good enough at the level of all the little special cues which, for me, are essential for making a recording sound like real music.

Where it is good, unsurpassed by anything I’ve ever heard, is in organ music.

I have other amps I could try - a Krell KSA50, a Radford STA25 and even the amp which was, I think, made for the ESL 63, the Quad 306. But basically these things are so heavy that I’ve been to lazy to experiment with them. And anyway, doing so would mean upsetting other systems which sound fabulous, in many ways better than the ESL one.

I have had Quad equipment with it, a 606, a 520, a 303. Certainly they’re not bad amps (especially the 303)

If the ESL 63 really is the great speaker that some people claim it is, I’ve still not found the ideal match. My room could also be a major limitation (wood floors no curtains or carpets, but I have fitted some bass traps and it doesn’t sound echoey when you talk!)

I'm Chris.

Hi Howard,

the amp that was in repair is a modified Ming Da KT88 push-pull. Delivers 55w in UL mode which for tubes is just about minimum for the 63's. That is if you want accurate transients and a good (but not great) helping of dynamics.

The speakers can sound good or adequate with a lot of amps but they have certain qualities which are only unlocked by certain amps (I feel).

Granted I have not tried all of them, or even most, but I am wholly satisfied with the presentation of them with the Ming Da. Most amps with a similar configuration will likely give the same result. KT88's do seem to flatter them the most too.

Now earlier I mentioned transients and dynamics, this is what I'm expecting more of with the QSP. Something slightly different. It is unlikely to have the full romantic mid-range that is usually only obtainable with tubed amplification (although not always). However I hope it will more than make up for that with an increased sense of soundstaging and power.

You seem to have a fine collection there, I would urge you to give some of them a try as some people prefer 303's or 405's etc. However I would be surprised if you didn't get most of what you are looking for with a 606 in good condition. From what others say its a super match with the 63's.

I think a lot has to do with source material and also room size. For example some people love the 303 with quads but for me I can hear its limitations with some of the music I play. Although I actually love the 303 with some large more efficient paper coned speakers but that's another discussion.

I am after some gradients myself (put an add in the sellers section without reply unsurprisingly!!) but I still have to use some digital EQ in my room with more bass heavy music.

So to answer your query, KT88 amplifier in push-pull configuration and give that 606 a good try.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post

I have other amps I could try - a Krell KSA50, a Radford STA25
    Those are some stonking amps Howard, the Radford is just about as good as it gets for Quad ESL (57's) but likely a tad under-powered for the 63's.

I would definitely give both the Krell and especially the 606 a try though.

Let me know how it goes, I'm intrigued.

Cheers

Chris

I'm Howard.

If you do get Gradients, do try (though it may be very hard) to get the MT Crossover, or have it in mind to programme your own crossover. That's the weakness on the old gradient system, I believe they've relaunched the subwoofers for the ESL 63 and they have an improved crossover now.

If you add subs you are effectively destroying the point source image of the ESL 63s, and the result can sound splashy. That's one reason why the MT sub is better, because with patience you can delay the sub sound w.r.t. the main speakers, and so compensate for the slight difference in position in space. It sounds like it's not going to matter, but for me, it really did matter.

I also have supertweeters with them, which I also think are well worth trying (especially because you can get them on a free trial basis from Townshend) They just create the impression of more detail. People say they make listening fatiguing but I haven't found that; I don't listen for very long stretches of time anyway.

I suspect that the Krell will be very good with the ESLs. It's upstairs and the ESLs are downstairs and it weighs a ton . . . .

I'm Chris.

I suspect that the Krell will be very good with the ESLs. It's upstairs and the ESLs are downstairs and it weighs a ton . . . .
    Take the 63's upstairs!

I'm Chris.

If you do get Gradients, do try (though it may be very hard) to get the MT Crossover, or have it in mind to programme your own crossover. That's the weakness on the old gradient system, I believe they've relaunched the subwoofers for the ESL 63 and they have an improved crossover now.

If you add subs you are effectively destroying the point source image of the ESL 63s, and the result can sound splashy. That's one reason why the MT sub is better, because with patience you can delay the sub sound w.r.t. the main speakers, and so compensate for the slight difference in position in space. It sounds like it's not going to matter, but for me, it really did matter.

I also have supertweeters with them, which I also think are well worth trying (especially because you can get them on a free trial basis from Townshend)

Indeed I have somewhat successfully managed to get a decent (not perfect) integration of subs with two small REL's working in stereo. Very lightly extending the bottom end and adding a bit of punch. As mentioned though, they are far from perfect.

The gradients with the proper x-over would no doubt be significantly better. Not heard of an updated version though, worth looking into.

I have also tried supertweeters. Not very expensive ones though, however they were more suited to electrostats apparently (ribbon type).

Tried for ages to set them up but in a similar way to how you mention the subs destroy the point source magic I found the supertweeters to do the exact same.

Unlike many, I feel little is missing from the top end from my 63's in my setup.

Cheers

I'm Stephen.

Not sure if you found an amp for your Quads, or your budget but . . .
    I run my 2905s from a Lyngdorf tdai3400 and they sound stunning. Digital amp (with options) but not class D. Most transparent amp I have ever owned (and that includes NVA, Plinius, Parasound JC1s and the earlier Lyngdorf 2200).
    The 3400’s smaller brother would be fine for the Quads and can be had for well below two grand now used.
    Welcome to come listen if needs be (Glastonbury).
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast