Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
I can't say I've ever been irritated by a direct drive in the same way as I have by belt drives, suspended ones in particular. I've never heard one of these 'pro' EMT decks though .. quite curious .... I have to say the aesthetic is a wee bit challenging for a domestic space but maybe that's just me.
I have to say that whilst my belt/string drive Amazon sounds brilliant - very clear, and fluid with great sound staging, I noticed that on busy passages there is an apparent slowing/smearing. My Townshend with the DPS motor - which his a high torque Berger lahrs - doesn't have that problem - the belt is an original live so transfers the torque better.

There are some very knowledgeable people that sear by each topology for a different reason - I am curious if its the same art and cartridge in the same set up they really can tell the differences to the extent they claim - it's part of the reason I am fiddling around with other decks.

As to the EMT looks - yes - it is a hard sell. But its form does genuinely follow function and is not a fake attempt at Bauhaus. All said and done, as and hen I eventually get it restored it will be in a dedicated audio room. The B & O ill be in our lounge - that said - most hifi is pretty disjointed in appearance unless you go for a one make set-up like the bang and Olufsen