+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle exhausts

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Never had a Harley myself, but I've had mates that have them, apparently everyone bins the standard pipes as they strangle the engine due to EU regs
    As standard new Harley's (since 2007 have fuel injection) and have to conform to Type Approval, this covers the standard exhaust.

It's a misnomer by Harley owners that changing the exhaust gives more power, without a remap of the ECU that assumption isn't valid.

I have to admit here that I love internal combustion exhaust noise (you could say addict) in my early years when cars were cars ( not European boxes) and bikes were bikes, I could recognise what they were by the sound that they made

Don't mention Castrol R.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I have to admit here that I love internal combustion exhaust noise (you could say addict) in my early years when cars were cars ( not European boxes) and bikes were bikes, I could recognise what they were by the sound that they made

Gary
    I can still tell the difference between a Triumph twin and a BSA twin all these years on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    As standard new Harley's (since 2007 have fuel injection) and have to conform to Type Approval, this covers the standard exhaust.

It's a misnomer by Harley owners that changing the exhaust gives more power, without a remap of the ECU that assumption isn't valid.

Don't mention Castrol R.

Gary
    I'm no expert on this thought I have changed pipes on bikes, say standard to a micron system conforming to the same standard and the effect has bin quite noticeable, as though the engine can breath better? I'm not suggesting more power though. A couple of years ago I added a accelerator module to the ECU of my BMW, £40, the difference was wonderful, I could get out of first without stalling
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I can still tell the difference between a Triumph twin and a BSA twin all these years on.
    Velocette, Matchless, Royal Enfield me too.

I like singles as well, had a Velo Thruxton and a Gold Star at various times.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

My ZX6-R Ninja is currently being recommissioned after 10 years off the road and one of the first things I asked for is the standard can to be put back on. In my yoof I thought it was really cool to fit an ART race can. It sounded absolutely amazing to no one except me... even friends with 1000’s with race systems and one with a Firestorm on virtual straight through pipes would get pissed off with me as it drowned out their bikes!

So anyway, much as I love the howl of a 600 on a race can at 15,000 rpm it’s time to grow up and show a bit of social responsibility.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I'm with you on this. I live near Bury Hill in West Sussex which is very popular with bikers, mostly sports bikes but the occasional cruiser too. I rarely hear the sports bikes going through the village but the Harleys and the like make an awful row. As you say why do they seem to be exempt from exhaust restrictions.
    On a slightly sideward step a friend of mine used to work in a Harley dealership and he always said that the last bike he would ever buy would be a Harley, the most expensive and unreliable agricultural vehicle on the market. Sorry to any Harley owners, just repeating what he said.
    Looking at the average age of their owners, I would say that the last bike any of them will be buying is a Harley. Look quite cool until they take their helmets off and then you see that it's Uncle Boris and Auntie Doris

I personally quite like the sound of loud Harleys but would change my mind if I had them going past my house. A friend has had one for 20 years now, and it has been known to set off car alarms. His MOT garage know him well, and know that if he turns up with the standard exhaust, he will be changing back immediately after the test, so they have an "understanding".

I think exhaust/airbox change is what they call "stage one tune", and most seem to go for that. Maybe post-2007 bikes also get a re-map.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Jon.

As far as i’m concerned Harleys are a complete waste of money. They handle like a barge and the performance is just woeful, not to mention the appalling build quality. The brightwork on those things will soon go to shit if not meticulously cleaned after every ride out.
    I kinda get the lifestyle choice with owning one, but not over here where the roads are so busy. I’ve ridden one in traffic and never ever want to do it again.
    As for the noise, well, i like a nice sounding loud exhaust, if nothing else to let other road users know that your there. But, they aren’t just loud, they sound shit and irritate pretty much anyone who doesn’t own one.
    I’ve worked next to diesel powered generators that sound better.
    That said, on every bike i’ve owned i’ve had either a can or full system fitted, (almost always an Akra or Yoshi) mainly because they sound nice, release some horses and let car drivers know i’m there.
    I’d rather listen to an in line 4 screaming past at 12K revs rather than a Harley struggling under its own power to achieve 50mph with some tattooed fuckwit with a piss pot helmet and some sort of fake Hells Angels attire on riding the bike equivalent of a 1930’s John Deere tractor.
    Horrid things!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    As far as i’m concerned Harleys are a complete waste of money. They handle like a barge and the performance is just woeful
    I tend to agree. I find it ironic that most Harley owners simply wouldn't realise that a thirty year old Italian 125 bike like a Mito or RS125 will leave them for dead on a track.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dominic.

I always fitted reverse cone megaphones on to my AJS and Triumph twins with that glorious burbling sound at tickover and overrun.

I bought a 500 speed twin off a guy who worked in a chrome platers and this thing dazzled brightly in the sunshine with battery/oil tank covers, petrol tank, wheels, mudguards and frame all thickly plated, along with the reverse cones he had fitted. He moaned about having no burble from the exhausts, so I loosened the clamp on the exhausts and gave the end of the silencers a good hefty kick which shortened them by about 6 inches or so, whereupon a beautiful burbling noise started issuing forth. He said he had tried 4 different exhausts and couldn't get that sound at all, but easy when you are in the know
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Vince.

I totally agree with the whole "don't get it about Harley's.
    Underpowered, overweight, badly built bags of scrap on 2 wheels.
    I mean an old Yamaha RD 250 or a Suzuki RG 250, both air and liquid cooled will absolutely destroy a Harley. This is a bike with 4 - 5 times the cubic capacity and sounds like a John Deere tractor.
    Yes.....its a lifestyle type of thing, but you could buy a Japanese, English or German pricewise comparison that will outgun the Harley completely. You'll be left with enough monet for every accessory going as well.
    The noise is completely unacceptable as it is there purely as noise, not a performamce enhancing upgrade. You simply do not need it.
    Honda's Goldwing for example, massive engine, decent poke considering its huge weight, yet it's whisper quiet.
    The Harley certainly lets you know its there. Personaly.....I'd rather walk than be seen on one.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast