+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle exhausts

I'm Gary.

Default Motorcycle exhausts

Possibly a grumpy old man rant but only aimed at very specific bikes.

I live on a fairly busy A road which obviously means a lot of traffic noise, I knew this when I moved here and accept it. Being quite rural all sorts of traffic passes our house, cars, lorries, tractor, motorbikes etc.

The bain of my life is Harley Davidsons (and possibly similar V twin bikes) the noise the damned things make is unbelievable. You can hear them from half a mile away.

I have a few friends with sports bike who are not legally allowed to use "race cans" on their bikes due the noise, I simply don't understand how Harleys are allowed to come out of the showroom with nothing more than a piece of chrome pipe for an exhaust when race exhausts are illegal? At least a sports bike is fast so you're not subjected to what (comparatively little) noise they make for very long whereas Harleys don't seem capable of more than 40mph.

Rant over
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Ian.

I'm with you on this. I live near Bury Hill in West Sussex which is very popular with bikers, mostly sports bikes but the occasional cruiser too. I rarely hear the sports bikes going through the village but the Harleys and the like make an awful row. As you say why do they seem to be exempt from exhaust restrictions.
    On a slightly sideward step a friend of mine used to work in a Harley dealership and he always said that the last bike he would ever buy would be a Harley, the most expensive and unreliable agricultural vehicle on the market. Sorry to any Harley owners, just repeating what he said.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Grant.

even new bikes are allowed to reach 80db, with a margin of 6db.... older bikes are allowed to go up to 87db... Considering 80db is extremely loud its not very satisfactory. They are not allowed to use off road exausts tho and can be a 3 month jail/5k penalty
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

3 months imprisonment?

Are you sure?
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    3 months imprisonment?

Are you sure?
    potentially yup.. well no more than 3 months. im guessing fines will be the norm, but repeat offenders...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Not many Harleys around here. It's the little bikes that piss me off. Seventeen year olds on cheapo Chinese 125's with racing cans (as if you can race on something that runs out of puff at sixty ) that bomb around making an almighty racket. What for? They're not fooling anybody with those gutless little things.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

I can only assume imprisonment must be for something like antisocial behaviour as opposed to a motoring or construction and use offence.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Possibly a grumpy old man rant but only aimed at very specific bikes.

I live on a fairly busy A road which obviously means a lot of traffic noise, I knew this when I moved here and accept it. Being quite rural all sorts of traffic passes our house, cars, lorries, tractor, motorbikes etc.

The bain of my life is Harley Davidsons (and possibly similar V twin bikes) the noise the damned things make is unbelievable. You can hear them from half a mile away.

I have a few friends with sports bike who are not legally allowed to use "race cans" on their bikes due the noise, I simply don't understand how Harleys are allowed to come out of the showroom with nothing more than a piece of chrome pipe for an exhaust when race exhausts are illegal? At least a sports bike is fast so you're not subjected to what (comparatively little) noise they make for very long whereas Harleys don't seem capable of more than 40mph.

Rant over
    They don't come with those pipes as standard
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Gary.

Non standard, loud exhaust is an MOT failure, but there isn't a noise meter test, it's up to the tester. There isn't a specific rev indicated either.

There aren't any regulations with regard to frequency, and Harley's do seem to be in the lower register.

Gary
    Last edited by Stryder5; 27-08-2019 at 17:52. Reason: Add about MOT
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Non standard, loud exhaust is an MOT failure.

There aren't any regulations with regard to frequency, and Harley's do seem to be in the lower register.

Gary
    Never had a Harley myself, but I've had mates that have them, apparently everyone bins the standard pipes as they strangle the engine due to EU regs
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast