+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica AT33PTG/11 Retip

I'm Simon.

Default Audio Technica AT33PTG/11 Retip

My AT33PTG/11 has reached the end of its life so I've been contemplating getting a replacement. The question is, is it worth getting it re-tipped or go for a brand new one?
    I know that Audio Technica offer the re-tip service but as I don't have a proof of purchase this option isn't open for me.
    Has anyone had any experience of using third party services for this cartridge? Expert Stylus maybe?
    Basically, is it worth faffing with or would the money be better spent elsewhere
    Cheers
    Simon
    Simon.

I'm Deleted.

Audio-Technica (and other mainstream manufacturers) don’t actually do re-tipps - what they do is bin your old cartridge and sell you a new one at a discount. Are you sure you need proof of purchase?
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

Hmm, I sure I read it somewhere. Ah - found it now on PFM. (if you can believe what you read there ). It also mentions that it's not recommended to have it re tipped... but they would say that I suppose. Maybe time for a rethink.
    Simon.

I'm steve.

By the time a cartridge needs a retip the suspension will probably be worse for wear so doing the AT exchange scheme is the best bet, AFAIK you don’t need proof of purchase to get the exchange. Might be cheaper to go for the new OC9XEB at just over £200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

Thanks guys - I given Audio Technica an email to see what they can offer.
    Simon.

I'm Deleted.

No, I’m certain of my comments - some inaccurately describe manufacturers exchange schemes as re-tips but they are nothing of the sort. Having said that, Steve’s suggestion that the suspension is likely worn out is also commonly cited but isn’t my experience at all. In any case, companies like Goldring can also replace suspension rubbers at the same time as replacing the stylus. Having a cartridge re-tipped is very unpopular in the hi-fi business as neither the cartridge manufacturer nor the dealer make any money. When I was in retail (admittedly a long time ago) you didn’t need proof of purchase to exchange a cartridge, just the old cartridge to hand over. They don’t do anything with the old cartridges, it is literally just a discount.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

Its very similar to buy new as retip these so I would recommend a trade-in. I have PM'd you details of someone who should be able to help you with this.

I'm Simon.

Cheers Graham
    Simon.

I'm Mel.

Based on my experience with Ortofon and Dynavector your old cartridge will have an exchange value you can use against a new similar cartridge from their range i.e. you can select an alternative MC of the same or greater value.

I'm Spartacus.

I have an AT33PTG (not Mk II) with ESCo paratrace retip and it sounds very good.
    Cheers, Jeff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast