+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodgy selector switch

I'm Chris.

Hi Steve
    Yes those images worked. It looks like this brand of switch https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/p...a-series/11143
    which we can see has a circle of contacts at the rear, and will have poles in the middle body of the switch

The job will also involve un- doing the bracket , here is a few tips on desoldering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwsGnO630vY
    Note there are some very good solderwick products vs not so good ones, the one shown in the video is pretty good, but others
    often need applying solder from the top of the solderwick to get solder flowing onto the solderwick.

The size of replacement switch, and of course its exact positioning when replacing looks to be critical, so VTL will be able to advise a exact replacement.

Hope that helps.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Steve.

Hi Chris,

That is the one except mine has a MM phono stage under the selector and a decent metal remote.

It also has 2 x ecc82 and 2 x 6350's in the pre stage.

VTL are a little tricky to deal with as they don't like anybody touching their stuff even replacing power valves. I have a ST85 which I contacted them about and they really wanted me to take it in for service.

It looks as if it will have to go in for repair.

Cheers,
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Steve.

I employed a bit of lateral thinking today and plugged the CD in to the Tuner sockets which seem to work perfectly. I will try the Fiio/Audiolab DAC in to the video sockets and see if they are any better.

Not quite a fix but a fix around.

Cheers,
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12