+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Separate power for audio system

I'm Dennis.

I'm sure there are very good electricians available, but in my experience of both they, and also plumbers, whilst they may have the requisite legal qualifications, often lack conscientiousness in their work, and are slovenly.

When I rebuilt my extension I rewired the whole thing, both lighting and power, and several people said that it was the best wiring they had ever seen, and this also applied recently to a replacement boiler in which the inspectors praised my pipe-work, much 'cleaner' than theirs.

Provided the simple electrical, and safety rules are adhered to, it is not difficult.

When old wire is referred to are we talking about the pre '70 red, black, and green, which I found so much more sensible than the brown, blue, and green/yellow?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I'm sure there are very good electricians available, but in my experience of both they, and also plumbers, whilst they may have the requisite legal qualifications, often lack conscientiousness in their work, and are slovenly.

When I rebuilt my extension I rewired the whole thing, both lighting and power, and several people said that it was the best wiring they had ever seen, and this also applied recently to a replacement boiler in which the inspectors praised my pipe-work, much 'cleaner' than theirs.

Provided the simple electrical, and safety rules are adhered to, it is not difficult.

When old wire is referred to are we talking about the pre '70 red, black, and green, which I found so much more sensible than the brown, blue, and green/yellow?
    Yes, we are referring to twin and earth cable used for permenant wiring, for which the insulation of the phase and return are coloured brown and blue respectively. The earth continuity conductor is uninsulated.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

I had my room rewired with 4mm t&a and on a separate ring. I think the wire is Pirelli.

I don't know if it is better than 2.5mm but it does the job.

I did have most of the components plugged in to the wall on switchless MK sockets but there was a slight hum coming from the amps through the speakers I now have all plugged in to a Russ Andrews 8 socket board and then in to the wall. Dynamics are better and hum gone.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Gary.

I keep thinking I've heard it all but now one person has mentioned the brand of mains wiring and two the brand of sockets.

I hope Pirelli wire is better than their tyres. Lol
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Veiko.

Yeah.
    Luckily the electrician did not find me mental, but said he has heard of suggestions like this.
    He believes 2,5 mm2 is good and that additional shielding has no point.
    However my concern about copper with or without fibers is yet unaddressed.
    Also asked about it from hardware store, but they had no idea.
    So I guess it does not matter, and I will buy solid, since it is easier to push through
    the wall, which in that case is about 50 cm thick (including insulation).

I think I will use Furukawa wire and Schneider sockets

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I mentioned the brand of socket (MK), not because I believe they sound any better, they don't, but because they are very well made and an obvious choice given the plethora of cheap Chinese made sockets available on the market. I would be equally happy to use Crabtree fittings, and as an aside, I actually prefer their 13A plugs to those of MK.

Likewise the choice of circuit breaker is important - only use those made by a well known and reputable manufacturer.

Schneider make very good electrical fittings: I specified their use (both sockets and circuit breakers) for our house in Africa, where they use European Schuko style sockets.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12