+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: khozmo passive pre amp question

I'm Phil.

Default khozmo passive pre amp question

Hi folks , im interested in a khozmo passive pre , but im concerned about the pots resistance which is 200k , im not sure he is measuring the resistance from the right place , does the pots resistance have any effect on volume level , im using a tisbury passive pre which is 10k , im told 50k is
    ideal with my ming da 805 monblocks , also use a long dog moving coil valve phono stage , I think its the series resisters that you have to measure
    and there Vishay z foil , basically I need to make sure its the right resistance 200k and if it is will that be ok with my kit can anyone help with this cheers phil.
    Phil.

I'm Alan.

I think 50K would be ideal but I see no problem going up to 200K, particularly driving the monoblocks.

I'm Phil.

Thanks alan , do you think the volume level would be any different cheers phil.
    Phil.

I'm Alan.

The only likely difference is the vol pot may be a few degrees further round depending on the actual input impedance of the monos.

I'm Phil.

Thanks very much , phil.
    Phil.

I'm James.

Pretty sure they used to make them to your desired impedances if you emailed them? Might be worth a try if you're thinking of buying new anyway?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Pretty sure they used to make them to your desired impedances if you emailed them? Might be worth a try if you're thinking of buying new anyway?
    I emailed them recently for advice on the correct impedance for my Quad 306, very helpful and the preamp arrived pretty quickly from Poland. I'm very pleased with it, definitely a set up from the Tisbury.

I'm Chris.

Hi
    200k suggests as being excessive resistance, as to use such values you really need to have a emphasis capacitor to correct
    for frequency loss in the upper resistance ranges above about 100k . Inferring quite a difficulty with a potentiometer vs a stepped resistor type.
    (which could have such a progressive range of emphasis capacitors placed to correct for frequency loss across the highest resistance values)

High value potentiometers also suffer from what is called Johnson noise. The history of the rheostat is in its centenary year, although
    pencilled in differing designs earlier it has a patent registered to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Hallock-Greenewalt

If choosing to pass audio signals via a potentiometer 50k being 25k from mid volume in each direction would be the upper maximum. Lower values
    with 15k being ideal is preferable, as lower values enable your source and load impedances to easily drive such a passive L pad

Even with LDR's I avoid using any resistance above 63k, usually using 50k - but of course this resistance is NOT in the audio signal path
    rather arranged as a current sink on the LDR cathodes. .

I'm Phil.

Thanks again for all your help I have decided against that khozmo , also looking at dave slagle
    Phil.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    Thanks again for all your help I have decided against that khozmo , also looking at dave slagle
    I went from slagle to a preamp with a Khozmo Stepped Attenuator.

No looking back from me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast