+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small Faces - Ogdens

I'm Steve.

Default Small Faces - Ogdens

I have a copy of Ogdens Nut Gone Flake on CD on the Castle label published 1985.

It is a great album but the quality of the Cd is appalling. I also have a copy of the Autumn Stone also Castle and 1986 which is even worse. Some songs sound like they were recorded from a small transistor radio with a microphone on to a cassette (how I used to record in the late 70's).

Has anyone later editions and do they sound better? Charley seem to have rereleased versions.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Martin.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0Dacr...RtGRsfNK6YDNgw

https://open.spotify.com/album/1ZWPl...T6-vLrN-4xgAqQ

Spotify links, Autumn Stone sounds decent on first 3 tracks. Looks like they did a 50th anniversary edition of Ogdens , which is what i linked. Spendy though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0Dacr...RtGRsfNK6YDNgw

https://open.spotify.com/album/1ZWPl...T6-vLrN-4xgAqQ

Spotify links, Autumn Stone sounds decent on first 3 tracks. Looks like they did a 50th anniversary edition of Ogdens , which is what i linked. Spendy though...

Yes I saw the 50th edition. It is a bit pricey. Hopefully they will just do a single CD version.

I have a feeling that my two copies are displaying how bad they were at mastering CD's in the 80's.

You have just managed to sign me up to Spotify! I feel ever so trendy now! I might try and see how it sounds if I play the phone through my main system and compare.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Martin.

These spotify versions sound decent enough on my system, admittedly not as good as some other stuff on the site. Its all down to how good the master version is before they compress it.

I actually played both these albums through this morning and really enjoyed them , particularly Autumn stone where I recognised a few more tracks.

So I’m now a small faces fan

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    These spotify versions sound decent enough on my system, admittedly not as good as some other stuff on the site. Its all down to how good the master version is before they compress it.

I actually played both these albums through this morning and really enjoyed them , particularly Autumn stone where I recognised a few more tracks.

So I’m now a small faces fan

You've converted me to Spotify. I've converted you to the Small faces!

Have briefly played Ogdens Nut Gone Flake (the track) it sounds slightly better on the CD but not by much. There is more top end on the CD but the bass initially feels better on Spotify. The weirdest thing is on the CD the drums pan from left to right but on Spotify (stereo version) the pan right to left. I am pretty sure my cables are not crossed.

I played the whole of Autumn Stone on Cd and it doesn't sound quite as bad as I remember apart from the live tracks.

The played Humble Pie Smokin on vinyl. Different level quality wise.

+ Reply to Thread