+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R-Pi 4 with stand-alone Dac

I'm Bill.

Default R-Pi 4 with stand-alone Dac

I keep being tempted by a standalone Dac, has anyone tried a R-Pi 4 straight into a Dac via USB without a Digi hat? Wondering if the fact that the USB/Lan issue has been revised that the digi hat is no longer required.
    Last edited by Bourneendboy; 23-08-2019 at 07:03.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Lawrence.

I don't know anything about these issues but my RPi 3 b+ works fine into a USB dac without a hat, as long as the dac is not using the usb for power.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I don't know anything about these issues but my RPi 3 b+ works fine into a USB dac without a hat, as long as the dac is not using the usb for power.

Cheers Lawrence

I am aware it is possible and did do this for a short time in between systems with a Dragonfly Red. What I'm interested in is any sq comprises from not using a hat.
    Are you suggesting there aren't any if not powering the Dac?

The Dac in mind is an NJC Audio Reference Dac to go with their headphone amp I currently use. This is mains powered.

I'm Andrew.

I use an RPi 3 in to a usb to SPDIF convertor via the USB out and this sounds fine . However if you want to use the RPi direct in to a USB DAC as you indicate then I would recommend that ypu look to get the new RPi4 which is out now.

This unit is much quicker and has a great deal more RAM the previous RPi boards and more important it has full USB 3.0 outputs that will match and feed in to a stand alone DAC much easier . I feel (as I have not yet tried this ) that this will also have a less compromised sound quality output as the USB has its own power feed from the board .

I'm Lawrence.

I'm a bit out of my depth here technically add I'm not familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the the Rpi other than power supplies. But I'll stick my neck out and say the following:

I should have clarified my statement about USB DACs with regards to compatibility. I've tried about 6 DACs and external SPDIF convertors, and one of them wasn't compatible. (It was recognised but no sound came out.) This may sometimes be a function of the software you are using eg. I use Squeeelite. Most are plug and play with Linux but in my case I looked it up and apparently I need to add a command line in the "Kernel" or something which I will get round to one day if I can work it out. (So it's a fundamental Linux set up issue, not the music software)

Regarding SQ I'm not sure that a Hat spdif converter is necessarily any better than an external one (either built in to the DAC or a separate box). If it's drawing the power from the Pi then it will have issues around that, but on the other hand it may use the I2S link which apparently is better, though I've heard some don't find that in practice. Probably, a better stand alone mains powered spdif converter will outperform a built in piggy back one regardless of connection YMMV.

Going direct to a USB dac, again assuming mains powered, much is dependent on the built in USB convertor, older ones (say 5+ years) tend to be outperformed by relatively cheap separate ones these days as the technology has moved on (moreso than dac chips where opinion is still rather polarised, I tend to veer towards the older less clinical sound but only in the best implementations eg Trichord, Pink Triangle, but newer NOS DACs can come close eg Chevron, Metrum).

I'm Bill.

Thanks for your comments fellas.

I'm only interested in the NJC Dac if I'm going to do this, but unfortunately a trial/demo is not possible - I have asked them.

More pondering required

I'm Lawrence.

I would check the spec of the latest version as I found this in an online review, but it was from 2016 and might be an old spec. It implies the USB convertor is one of the old chips I referred to that are outclassed these days. Hopefully the MK2 version is higher on USB.

"Full spec is on NJC's website - but this is a back to basics simple design so limited inputs (Coax (24/192), Optical (24/96), USB (16/48) and one analogue).* The USB is not asynchronous (NJC audio's view is that whilst asynchronous is a cost effective way of reducing jitter its own jitter attenuation methods are equally effective and have other advantages.) and the USB won't support High Def.*"

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I would check the spec of the latest version as I found this in an online review, but it was from 2016 and might be an old spec. It implies the USB convertor is one of the old chips I referred to that are outclassed these days. Hopefully the MK2 version is higher on USB.

"Full spec is on NJC's website - but this is a back to basics simple design so limited inputs (Coax (24/192), Optical (24/96), USB (16/48) and one analogue).* The USB is not asynchronous (NJC audio's view is that whilst asynchronous is a cost effective way of reducing jitter its own jitter attenuation methods are equally effective and have other advantages.) and the USB won't support High Def.*"

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't spotted it.

I know I'm best to stick with what I have, save the money and not have the hassle of selling my existing stuff, its my obsession kicking in.......

I'm Grant.

Inclined to think although changes may seem good initially they usually level out as your hearing adapts.... Get something you like and stay with it is my advice, or you'll never be happy..... unless you enjoy it of course
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Inclined to think although changes may seem good initially they usually level out as your hearing adapts.... Get something you like and stay with it is my advice, or you'll never be happy..... unless you enjoy it of course
    I know you are right Grant, wise words!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast